Has anyone moved from a GX1 to a G5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by retroglide, Jan 27, 2013.

1. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Thinking of moving to a G5. Has anyone else done the same? Interested in getting the G5 myself.
  2. sdeban

sdeban Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Yes, the G5 is much better.

You should have no regrets, unless you really need to put the camera in your pocket. The silent shutter, swiveling screen (with better visibility in sunlight), the real grip, the toggle for zooming, better image quality, electronic viewfinder and more function buttons combine to make it far more functional.
  3. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    I got the G5 first and obtained the GX1 as a backup. To me, the G5 is better for the features mentioned above. I do really like the feel of the GX1, though. Lastly, the shutter sound for the G5 is sooo much better sounding than the GX1's.
  4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I had a G3 and GX1... and then replaced the G3 with a G5. So I have both the G5 and GX1. I have the G5 primarily for use with bigger, longer lenses like the Panny 100-300. I primarily use primes on my GX1. I find both cameras have their place in my kit. Image quality is not dramatically different. It's really a question of form factor and some of the nice, new features on the G5. If you can swing it, I'd buy the G5 and keep both for a while before letting the GX1 go. You may find you like having both, just as I did.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is there a big difference between the G5 and GH2 image-wise?
  6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I did. I was using the LVF2 on the GX1 all the time anyway. I probably would not have done it, but B&H had a deal on the G5 that allowed you to buy the 12-35mm/2.8 for $900, which was irresistable. :smile: The image quality difference is slender. I do like the overall ergos of the G5 better.
  7. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    I really loved the feel of the G5 in the hand and the new little jog control behind the shutter button felt great as well. However the one I tried had a sticky feeling rear thumb dial, nothing like the G2 I tried in a shop a year back which felt quite loose. Was this a one off on that particular body or do all of them have relatively sticky feeling rear thumb dials?
  8. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Since I have both the G2 and G5, I prefer the handling and size of the G2 but the IQ, ISO and other features of the G5. For me a G2 with G5 sensor would be a perfect camera.
  9. retroglide

retroglide Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Thanks for the prompt replies. I am indeed thinking of keeping the GX1 With my 220mmf1.7
  10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I can not think of a valid reason to not recommend the G5. It's an awesome camera. I have a few complaints about it, but nothing serious. No camera is perfect.

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    I went from GX-1 to G5. If your are planning on mostly using pancakes then no reason to switch IMO. I started playing with manual lenses and really needed some more grip for the added weight, EVF is also a plus if you are already using the LVF2 as I was. I love my G5 and don't think I'd go back. In all honesty the G5 isn't that big really. It's more like a mini DSLR, I still can fit in my sweater/jacket pocket with a pancake. They are both great cameras from my POV.
  12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The other side, though, is that if you're happy with a GX1 and already own it, the cost of the change needs to be considered, and the improvement in IQ isn't dramatic. I really like the G5, but if it hadn't been for the deal B&H was offering, I'd still be happily using my GX1. :thumbup: