1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Has anyone had this kind of lens flare?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Yekim_Sicap, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Yekim_Sicap

Yekim_Sicap Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2015
    Frankfort, IL
    Michael
    Has anyone had this kind of flare? Is this flare? This photo was taken in a restaurant, where my family and I were seated in a corner booth. Both walls leading to the corner had large windows with blinds on them. So it was very backlit. There is a reflection of the window blinds on my son's left eye. I don't know a lot about lenses but I'm guessing that the light bounced around inside the lens before it made it's way to the sensor. Camera is an Oly E-M5 with a Vivitar 28 2.5 attached. (ASA 3200, f/4, 1/15 sec.)

P7070787.jpg

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, it's common, even in modern lenses. Some lenses will be worse than others.

I don't think it's flare though... Halo or haze or some other term would describe it.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looks like internal reflections from a window. You can see the frame and blinds. Do you have a filter on the lens? If not, the lens has really bad coating.

4. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Looks like veiling flare to me, probably you have a light source hitting the front element straight on and pingponging around inside the lens. Possibly quite hard to see that this is what's happening because with this adapted lens you're not seeing the edges of what the glass sees through the finder, just the inner crop of it. If the lens is old enough (does it have "VMC" printed on the front anywhere?) and doesn't have a hood either, this can get pretty extreme. IIRC stopping the lens down can sometimes make the problem worse and increase internal reflections.

Could also be made worse by the adapter - if it's black but still shiny and specular reflective inside for instance, this can make it worse. If you're game you can try what some people do and sand the inside of this down or put a cardboard or foam baffle in it to stop light that isn't destined for the sensor itself bouncing around.

5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    There seem to be two different issues:

1. The very common veiling flare that covers most of the image
    2. The reflection of the blinds that appears near the center of the image

#2 is possibly the result of making the poor decision to use a "UV protection" filter. If so, remove the filter.

6. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Sorry to say but buy a modern lens ! There is nothing wrong with using old lenses but beware of their limitations !!!

7. Yekim_Sicap

Yekim_Sicap Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2015
    Frankfort, IL
    Michael
    There is no filter on the lens.

I will definitely look into that. And try your suggestion.

I totally agree, I'm just experimenting because, like some, I have a bunch of these lenses sitting around.

Thanks all for your helpful input.

Mike

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It's pretty common veiling flare. You'll see it more on old lenses. You can get rid of most of it by using a lens hood. Use one meant for the appropriate field of view. With old lenses I use the hood from a 90mm on my 50mm and one from my 50mm on the 24mm.

You can also cup your hand around the lens at the right angle. You can see the difference in the viewfinder as you move your hand around.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I hadn't noticed #2 when viewing this previously on an iPad. I see it clearly on my 23" PC monitor though.

As far as veiling flare goes, I've seen it occur (rarely) on my 12-40mm; once I was trying to take a picture of a painting in a church under a window. It was overcast outside, but the church was very dark inside and the light from the window caused severe veiling flare and I couldn't get a decent picture, even after removing the lens filter. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the picture.
    I'm sure modern lenses are more resistant than older ones, but they're not immune.

Barry

10. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    As others have said, it's probably an old lens without multicoating. More prone to internal reflections and flare. It's the nature of the beast.