Has anyone had problems running Olympus Workspace on a Mac with 16 Gb of RAM or less?

Real Name
Walter
I have a friend who says Olympus Workspace keeps crashing or hanging up on his iMac with 32Gb of RAM. I think he said 32. I was flabbergasted to think he thought he didn't have enough RAM. I have 16 Gb on my iMac and have not had problems with Workspace.

What are others' experience with using Workspace on a Mac. How much memory do you think you need?

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
While I don't have an Olympus camera anymore, I did run workspace on a few different Macs when I did. I don't think any of them had more than 8GB, and I think one was even a 2012 Mac mini. Granted, all I ever really used it for was to update camera firmware.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I never had an issue with Workspace crashing either on my old 2009 iMac with 8GB and for a while on this 2019 iMac which originally had 8GB (I added 32 and now have 40GB).

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Not Mac but Workspace runs on my 12 year old Windows machine with 4GB 1333MHz system RAM without problems. According to Task Manager, the memory consumption remains low, around 50%, while I am making adjustments in Workspace. And this is without the GPU taking some of the load off of the CPU, because my video card is also old and has only has 1GB of video RAM and Workspace requires 2GB of video memory to utilize the GPU. So I am going to guess that a more modern system with a larger amount of much-faster system RAM and more graphical power shouldn't have a problem running Workspace. If Mac has something like Task Manager which provides statistics about CPU and memory usage, just check that to confirm.

Real Name
Walter
Thanks for the responses. That’s what I figure. The system requirements for Workspace are pretty moderate. Dunno why my friend keeps saying he has problems.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
No problem running 1.5.0 Universal mode on my M1 Mini with 16GB.

But....only use it to do firmware upgrades. Would never use it for photo edittng.

Last edited:

grcolts

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I have a mid-2011 iMac and Workspace runs fine on it with 12megs of ram.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom