1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Has anyone had an E-P5 dial problem successfully fixed by Olympus?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Timza, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Timza

Timza Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2016
    Tim
    Has anyone had an E-P5 dial problem successfully fixed by Olympus? I like lots of things about this camera. But the rear dial on one I bought on ebay has started skipping. It was fine when I got it and had around 3,000 shutter actuations. But now here I am. Should I send it in and pay to get it fixed?

2. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I would not pay to get it fixed. I've had mine replaced twice under warranty. Even the third dial has issues, and now the warranty is up. Not going to bother replacing it again. I do find that if I periodically spend a minute spinning the dial, it helps it work more consistently.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ruralvelo

ruralvelo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson, NC
    Edwin Young
    I had Olympus repair the front dial on my EM10. The repair ticket stated that they replaced the entire upper cover on the camera. Everything works great again and it was far cheaper than a replacement camera. It isn't the same model, but I'm sharing my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

4. Timza

Timza Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2016
    Tim
    I bid it up to around 330 on ebay. The service would cost 145 for me. I felt it was worth 330 when I bought it. I would pay the 145 if I felt it would be fixed.

5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I'd just live with it rather than pay to get it fixed - mine was repaired to fix it after it completely stopped working, and the fix lasted all of about 50 something turns before it started skipping again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    Mine has always been skipping but I've learned to ignore it even though it could be a bit irritating.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Timza

Timza Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2016
    Tim
    The sad and interesting thing is that I bought this P5 after lots of research on having the ability to adjust shutter, aperture, and ISO while metering is live. When I got it I was pleased with my ability to adjust exposure while metering is live, and I was pleasantly surprised that the screen also lightens and darkens as I change the shutter, aperture, and ISO. This control of exposure being able to see the predicted esposure and the taken image through an electronic view finder was more than I expected.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Use the dial that works as your exposure compensation dial.
    For the other adjustment, use the top button on the four-way on the back of the camera.
    Press the top button and the side buttons control the aperture or speed, depending on the mode you're in.
    Not as convenient as two working dials but works well enough and doesn't cost a repair.
    I have an E-P5 and two E-M1's and have learned to live with skippy dials.
    Shame, Olympus, Shame!

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I used contact spray (must be non-conductive of course) on the rear dial of my E-P5 after seeing this
    It improved a lot from that, if it ever skips now then I just spin it a little (as suggested above). I used a spray called PRF 6-68 (not sure it's avaliable on your market) that's not oil based. In the youtube video they use "Servisol Electrical Clean and Lube" which adds some oil, not sure what is best but I think any non-conductive cleaning contact spray for electronics should help.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I had mine repaired by Olympus Australia, including the on/off switch, under warranty (2 years warranty in OZ)
    Has been working OK since.
    I have a second E-P5 (newer) but I use it very little so all is still good there.

11. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    Did you spray straight into the dial like in the video, or did you remove the top plate? I'm very interested in this fix :)

12. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    I spray'ed like in the video, did not remove the top plate so it was easy done. The camera was turned off while I did it, then I waited for it to dry before turning it on according to the spray instructions. Guess it's because the sprays that are not oil based are highly flammable so to avoid the risk for a lightning spark, it should be turned off while doing it.

Good luck, hope it'll work for you :)

13. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    I just ordered some Deoxit contact cleaner spray. This one does contain a lubricant which supposedly helps prevent future corrosion. I'll report back :)

Thanks for the direction!

• Like Like x 2
  14. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    Reporting back:

It's a bit early to celebrate, but I did apply some Deoxit to both front and rear dials. So far...not a single dial click skipped.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  15. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Just something I've noticed between the dials on my EP5 and EM1. I've had the EP5 for several years and the EM1 for about a year. First, I've never had a problem with my rear (or front) dial but have noticed that the resistance of the dial turning and clicking into place is equal between the front and rear dials on the EP5. It's entirely possible the EP5 was a first or second production run assembled camera because I got it very shortly after they were available. I acquired the EM1 last year (2015) and it's probably into several production run assemblies because I got it two years after it was available. There is a significant difference between the front and rear dial on the EM1. I'd guess the dial takes about twice as much force to turn and has a much more solid feeling click into place than the front dial.
    Pure speculation on my part but I would think it would be much better economically to quietly fix the problem rather than issue a camera recall. This would indicate that Olympus, like most other companies, place profit over customer support, of course they did go and release firmware 4.0 for the EM1 for free which kind of shoots my theory in the foot.

16. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    @ MarkRyan — may I ask for a current status report on your E-P5 dials? Do they still work, or did they melt into blobs of unspeakable goo two weeks after you applied the Deoxit? I'm eager for lab test reports before I put our own E-P5 under the nozzle! :)

17. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    Still working

Though full disclosure, I don't use the camera as my primary. I did use it this weekend with zero skips.

• Useful Useful x 3
  18. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Thank you, I appreciate the frankness and transparency of your report. :thumbsup:;)

I assume that the rest of the camera is working too, not just the dials, right? No huge regions of dead pixels on the sensor or anything? :D

19. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I didn't use Deoxit on the E-M1 rear dial but an equivalent (?) from WD40 (brand) Contac Cleaner.
    Initially it worked great with no skips but then it started to do it occasionally.
    Spritzed the sh*t out of it again and it improved it, but not 100%.
    I am not sure how the E-M1 relates to the E-P5 but one would think the idea for the wheel should be the same?
    Eventually I will send the E-M1 for warranty rear dial replacement...
    I have already had warranty wheel replacement on one of my E-P5 and has been no-problem since

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    Oh I forgot to mention, the Deoxit melted through the plastic bits of the camera, caught my house on fire, and prank called my boss at 2:00 in the morning.

Just kidding, everything on the EP5 is solid.

• Funny Funny x 3