Has anyone had a chance to play with the Samsung NX10 yet?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Amin Sabet, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I hear they had a couple to play with at Focus on Imaging :wink:.

2. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Yes

I was unfortunately carrying my credit card when I was there and saw a good deal on the NX10 + the two kits lenses. Couldn't resist it, I'm afraid to say.
    Had a couple of sessions with it today.
    see:- http://soundimageplus.blogspot.com/2010/03/samsung-nx10.html

I feel like a bit of a traitor with all my enthusiastic championing of m4/3 but I love it. Great feel, wonderful colour and the screen is just terrific. So sharp and clear.

Its heavier than m4/3 (not much) and the 50-200mm is a monster, but that and the 18-55mm are both excellent lenses. High ISO is also very good.

Its different to m4/3, much more like a small thin DSLR, but it feels well built. Whether it is or not remains to be seen.

I'll be putting it through its paces for a while yet, but there are lots of things I really like. Not for everyone, and definitely not a "hideaway camera" but its a serious picture-making machine.

One glaring omission. No software for Macs for Raw file conversion. I haven't loaded the software onto my wife's laptop yet which is the only way I'm going to get to the raw. Not untypical of Samsung. (and they were doing so well)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Thanks for sharing your impressions with us! You must be one of the very first to have an NX10, no? I wasn't aware that they were selling them yet.

Could you tell us a bit more about how the NX10 and 18-55 handle compared with a G1 and 14-45?

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    So how much did it cost? Nice rich colour and sharp!

Cheers

Brian

5. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Show

There were a whole load of them on the Jacobs stand at the FOI show, complete with Samsung rep. He told me that an adapter was coming out (3rd. Party) for 4/3 lenses. Is that possible? Maybe he meant Olympus OM. I know Novoflex are making them for the following.
    * Nikon F
    * Canon FD
    * Minolta MD
    * Minolta/Sony Alpha
    * Leica R
    * Pentax K
    * Olympus OM
    * M42
    * T2

Cost me £560 for the camera + 2 zooms. Both of which are excellent. The 50-200mm is BIG though. The files look a lot sharper than I was getting off a Panasonic 45-200, but not as sharp as some Nikon primes I use on m4/3.

I really like the feel of it. Its much more substantial in the flesh than it looks in pictures and its pretty easy to work round. Very similar to m4/3. I'd worked 90% of it out without looking at the manual.

If you get the chance have a look at one and the screen. It really is the best I've ever seen. You can see it in sunlight as well.

If you're not a fan of colour saturation then maybe its not for you. Its got that Fuji Velvia look, which I love and is perfect for what I do. The images have a "dense" look to them, which is the best way I can describe it. There's definitely more of a scanned slide look, rather than the usual "flattish" look that digital files often have. There's a lot of contrast, though you can dial that down. Most of the images I posted are jpgs straight out of the camera.

The video is better than what Olympus have come up with so far. Not up to GH1 standards, but then not much on DSLR's is. Very usable and shoots very handy .mpeg files.

Overall I didn't think it would feel as nice or be as good to use as it is. It feels a good deal less "fiddly" than my m4/3 stuff. I've always had problems with the G1/GH1, less so with the GF1 and E-P1/2 but this has a nice rubberised grip.

I think it has enormous potential.

• Like Like x 3
  6. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    I've been reading your blog and your recent positive reviews of the Canon 550D. How do you think the Samsung compares to the new Canon?

7. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Comparison

I'm not able to do a proper comparison yet, due to this nonsense about Samsung not providing Mac raw conversion software.

8. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    From what I understand, the flange to sensor distance is ~25mm, less than the Leica M and thread mount, BUT the throat of the mount does not allow the RF lenses to be used. Is that true of both M-Mount (big throat and flange) and 39mm thread mount lenses?

If it can't take LTM, it's a non-starter for me.

9. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Looks really promising - the lens is super sharp with nice oof character... reds are pretty badly blown though.

Cheers

Brian

11. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    blown?

blown?

12. gravox

gravox New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2010
    I have posted a very concise comparison and some personal impressions on dpreview samsung discussion forum, Sams NX10 vs Pana G1.

13. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    Your post

I have just read your post on dpreview - and would agree with virtually everything you say.

I have a GH1 and as regards video, the Panasonic is far superior. The Samsung video has potential, but its covered with moire, fringing and CA, which is a shame because its very sharp. However until this is sorted out it is of no use to anyone.

I continue to be impressed by the NX10 and it produces beautiful images.

I find it interesting that the best two lenses I have bought in the last few years are made by Panasonic and Samsung. Both the lumix 20mm f1.7 and samsung 30mm f2 pancake lenses are extraordinary designs. Both are incredibly good wide open, sharp and with virtually no CA, fringing etc. There are many other companies who should take note of these, including I'm sorry to say Olympus, whose 17mm f2.8 pancake was a very ordinary product. Coming from a company, rightly praised for its excellent range of optics, this was a disappointment and hopefully will be compensated for with their forthcoming m4/3 lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    I played with an NX-10 + 18-55 today at Ted's Cameras. Didn't have much to say about the lens or the AF or the screen - but WOW is it a nice thing to hold! Physically it just requires so much less effort to hold comfortably as there is much more to grip on both the front and back - it almost feels 2x lighter than my EP1 even though it's roughly the same weight.

So I ordered an NX-10 + 30/2 kit :) Should get it in a week, I'm wondering which will have larger bokeh - 20/1.7 or 30/2?

15. soundimageplus

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    bokeh

The 30 f2.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  16. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    Nice! Very creamy and smooth. I was convinced of the bokeh quality by the following pics from the "New eyes for the world" series at samsungimaging.net:

bokeh1.
    bokeh2.

17. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, are you not seeing it? with the image above in this thread and the samples you linked to... any shot with red shows the reds are overexposed - leading to complete blotching out of detail in the highlights.

Am I seeing things? I'm using a calibrated monitor...

Cheers

Brian

18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    David, thanks for the link to your Samsung 30/2 samples. Very impressive! If I were looking for a one lens solution, I think I'd pick NX10 and 30mm lens over any current MFT combo. For a multiple lens kit, MFT has the lens selection and portability I want. It's amazes me how small I can go while traveling with an ultrawide zoom, normal prime, and telephoto macro (7-14, 20, 45/2.8).

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've never had a digital camera from any make that did well with broad red areas, eg red flowers. For example, look at the red cloth in any of the Imaging Resource sample images. They all go muddy and lose information in the reds, even when they don't clip, and all cameras tend to clip the reds on autoexposure. Hopefully with all the processor improvements over time, we'll see more intelligent metering that does better recognizing red scenes and adjusting accordingly.

20. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2010
    The reds are definitely blown:

redblown.