Has anyone found reliable third party batteries and charger for E-M1 mk II?

twigboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
We have his-and-hers motorcycle helmets that require a plug-in charger for the wireless Bluetooth com. It is a total pain to babysit charging one for 4 hours, and then waking up in the middle of the night to charge hers up becasue of one packed (large) charger, or a cheap *** motel who only has one electrical outlet in the bathroom (No kidding! Everything else is hardwired into the wall.). Wish the things had interchangeable batteries because the cabling is a mess of down time.
Maybe something like this? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1470615-REG/sanho_sahj307g_hyperjuice_usb_c_pd_battery.html

Bit of a sidebar, but what is the reasoning behind people wanting a USB-C charging port on a camera (e.g. Supposedly the upcoming E-M1 Mark III or whatever.). I don't understand those who'd refuse to buy one if it doesn't have it.

I get it for devices where one cannot change the battery as with cellphones and tablets, but I can swap a dead battery out in a digital camera with a new one far faster than dealing with plugging in a charger to the camera and waiting to resume shooting while it sits charging up.
I agree changing batteries must be faster. The USB power brick can run/charge a phone while in use somewhat (probably a tablet as well), but probably can't do much with the camera that way.

Last edited:

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Bit of a sidebar, but what is the reasoning behind people wanting a USB-C charging port on a camera (e.g. Supposedly the upcoming E-M1 Mark III or whatever.). I don't understand those who'd refuse to buy one if it doesn't have it.

I get it for devices where one cannot change the battery as with cellphones and tablets, but I can swap a dead battery out in a digital camera with a new one far faster than dealing with plugging in a charger to the camera and waiting to resume shooting while it sits charging up.

We have his-and-hers motorcycle helmets that require a plug-in charger for the wireless Bluetooth com. It is a total pain to babysit charging one for 4 hours, and then waking up in the middle of the night to charge hers up becasue of one packed (large) charger, or a cheap *** motel who only has one electrical outlet in the bathroom (No kidding! Everything else is hardwired into the wall.). Wish the things had interchangeable batteries because the cabling is a mess of down time.
Example: You're out shooting and your battery is getting low. The OEM charger that came with the camera is AC voltage only. With a USB charger built into the camera you can plug your camera into your car as you drive down the road, eat lunch, or sit in a parking lot with the USB in your car or a 12v > USB adapter.

While this may not be an everyday thing, it is definitely another level of assurance. I have a P-n-S that I keep in my truck and have used the in-camera charger several times.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Example: You're out shooting and your battery is getting low. The OEM charger that came with the camera is AC voltage only. With a USB charger built into the camera you can plug your camera into your car as you drive down the road, eat lunch, or sit in a parking lot with the USB in your car or a 12v > USB adapter.

While this may not be an everyday thing, it is definitely another level of assurance. I have a P-n-S that I keep in my truck and have used the in-camera charger several times.
The charger I have for the car charges the spare battery, it's not USB-C to camera. I can still shoot with the camera outside or inside while the dead one charges in the car. No cable to the camera is needed and camera still works.

I just did a 40-150mm f/2.8 lens firmware update to version 1.3 using the E-M1X and its USB-C cable. Had to take off the L-plate to access the camera's USB-C port too or else damage the port by bending the plug around it. Hate to do that just to charge its internal battery, but least it has a second battery in its slide-out tray.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I've seen chargers that do 12V and USB both, I've thought about getting one but since my truck has 3 USB ports I can use my chargers in it already. I had one a while back, I think an Powerextra, that was 12V and 110V. But your question was why anyone would want one, I gave an example. I wouldn't let not having one deter me if I wanted a specific camera, but if that's what someone wants, so be it.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This might be a dumb question... and possibly off topic a bit...

but... other than sticking the battery in your camera to see how charged it is, is there a battery tester that anyone here recommends for accurately checking camera battery levels?

I find it a pain before heading out to check my hand full of batteries for both my em5.2 (OEM’s and Wasabi) and em1.2 (OEM’s only) and inserting them one at a time in the camera to test seems a waste of time and also more wear and tear on the camera doors and switches than I’d like.
Old habit.
I "top off" my batteries before a shoot.
With NiMH batteries, there isn't a way to meter them, to determine charge level. So two days before a shoot I start topping off ALL the batteries that I plan to use, both camera and flash.
So when I go out, I KNOW that all the batteries are fully charged.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Sure, but this 250-275 shots vs 300 is not even close to what I have had with E-M10 II & GX9. More like 200 vs 300 and with age that gap is even bigger. They also ran out of fuel at the end much easier and without proper warning, and the total drain is bad for batteries.
In my limited experience, with a mirrorless camera, unlike a dSLR, it is not the number of shots, but the Power ON time, that determines how long the battery will last.
  • Example1, I shot over 1,200 shots at a tennis meet, on my EM1-mk2, but all within 2-1/2 hours.
  • Example2, I shot both a baseball game and a quad (4) basketball games, with my EM1-mk2. Batteries lasted about 3-1/2 hours, before the battery indicator went RED. I shot 2x as many frames at the basketball meet.
  • Example3, on vacation with my EM1-mk1, I could predict WHEN I would have to change batteries; approximately 11am and 4pm. The time was consistent, about 4 hours of run time, the number of shots I took varried. A LOT on the train, not near as much when walking about.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
eBay no longer has the HK/China OEM BLH-1 batteries.
Besides, right now, I'm not so keen on buying stuff out of China. I don't know how long the virus will remain dormant on stuff.​
In fact the price I paid last year May $43, is not much below the current $54 from B&H, Adorama and Amazon.
KEH at $46 isn't much cheaper either.

The 3rd party brands (fully decoded) however are, significantly cheaper.
I'm curious to know how well these 3rd party decoded batteries work.​
The 3rd party charger that I've seen, still only have 2 contacts ( = don't have PTC), relying only on electronic detection of full charge.

Last edited:

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
In my limited experience, with a mirrorless camera, unlike a dSLR, it is not the number of shots, but the Power ON time, that determines how long the battery will last.
  • Example1, I shot over 1,200 shots at a tennis meet, on my EM1-mk2, but all within 2-1/2 hours.
  • Example2, I shot both a baseball game and a quad (4) basketball meet, with my EM1-mk2. Batteries lasted about 3-1/2 hours, before the battery indicator went RED. I shot 2x as many frames at the basketball meet.
  • Example3, on vacation with my EM1-mk1, I could predict WHEN I would have to change batteries; approximately 11am and 4pm. The time was consistent, about 4 hours of run time, the number of shots I took varried. A LOT on the train, not near as much when walking about.
Same when I use my G85, the ontime determins the battery life and as per other posts it seems to be the EVF not the rear LCD that uses the most.
I find sleep modes help but then I miss more shots because of the camera wake up time. The first shot after wake up often misses focus so that increased wake up time as well.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
BTW this topic has become of interest to me because I determined that my EM1-mk2 will run only about 3-1/2 hours, continuous, with the 12-40/2.8 lens.
Shooting a 5-6 hour basketball quad (4 games), I drained one battery and had about 30% left on the 2nd.
Oddly, this is shorter than the 4 hours of the EM1-mk1 with the P-Lumix 12-60. Can the 12-40 be sucking power? But there is no IS in the 12-40.

So I will need get get at least one, but probably two more batteries for the mk2, and a 2nd charger. sigh.

Update: 2nd charger bought, 2 more batteries ordered. For a total of 4 batteries and 2 chargers.
Now I need to get a 4 battery pouch, or a 2nd 2 battery pouch.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
BTW, there is something about the later batteries and chargers.
At the local high school we use the Canon T7i.
The Canon battery will NOT charge in a 3rd party charger.
Nor will the 3rd party battery charge in the Canon charger.
So there is some kind of communication going on between the battery and charger.

Following the KISS idea, the yearbook advisor and I decided to just stick with the Canon batteries and chargers.
Murphy's Law in action.​
The kids were putting the non-Canon battery on the Canon charger, and the Canon battery on the non-Canon charger, and the batteries did not charge.​
So we decided to eliminate this point of confusion. Standardize on Canon batteries and chargers.​

I do not know if/which of the Olympus batteries/chargers do that.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom