Has anyone found reliable third party batteries and charger for E-M1 mk II?

nitehawk

New to Mu-43
Wasabi chargers will charge OEM Olympus batteries, but Olympus chargers won't charge Wasabi batteries.

But I like the Wasabi charger more anyhow. The 2 port usb charger is very convenient and takes up less space than the OEM single port AC only.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Something that has bothered me.
1 - With the relatively short run time of a mirrorless camera battery, why do the OEMs not make a two-battery charger? I would rather carry a two-battery charger than carry two chargers.
2 - Why not a USB charger? Or is there a technical reason why it can't be done, like maybe the PTC circuit?

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
When you figure that the price of an Olympus battery is only a few percent more than what you spent on the camera, it's worth the peace of mind and warranty protection to cough up the $20-40 for an Olympus battery. I gave up on agonizing over pennies for this hobby. I spend way more on coffee and treats in a month than the price of a battery that will last several years.

This might be a dumb question... and possibly off topic a bit...

but... other than sticking the battery in your camera to see how charged it is, is there a battery tester that anyone here recommends for accurately checking camera battery levels?

I find it a pain before heading out to check my hand full of batteries for both my em5.2 (OEM’s and Wasabi) and em1.2 (OEM’s only) and inserting them one at a time in the camera to test seems a waste of time and also more wear and tear on the camera doors and switches than I’d like.

nitehawk

New to Mu-43
Of the 6 or so Wasabi batteries I have, they all outlast the OEM counterparts for the E-M1 and E-M10, even in cold or hot conditions. But ymmv, I don't shoot in the desert or the arctic.

I've only had one battery fail, it was an old OEM battery and it got left in an absurdly hot car in the summer, so that's my fault.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
This might be a dumb question... and possibly off topic a bit...

but... other than sticking the battery in your camera to see how charged it is, is there a battery tester that anyone here recommends for accurately checking camera battery levels?

I find it a pain before heading out to check my hand full of batteries for both my em5.2 (OEM’s and Wasabi) and em1.2 (OEM’s only) and inserting them one at a time in the camera to test seems a waste of time and also more wear and tear on the camera doors and switches than I’d like.
I use the Wasabi charger and drop them in two at a time. If they're charged the lights will change shortly after inserting. If not, the charger will top them off.

Real Name
Deryck
The majority of USB chargers these days come with a charging gauge., Put the battery in and it tells you how charged it is. At £5 it's worth it even if you don't use them for charging :)

Probably bad I know, but I only use USB chargers with a mix of OEM and 3'rd party batteries. They take longer to charge but are smaller and lighter with no cumbersome power lead, and the house and car are dotted with USB charging transformers from Apple, Samsung, Amazon et al.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I've been lucky, so far, buying Olympus branded batteries from Hong Kong/China.
My guess is that these are probably coming out of the same factory that makes the batteries for Olympus, but coming out the side door.
The ones for my EM1-mk1 reliably give me the same run time as the original Olympus battery, approx 4 hours.

The majority of USB chargers these days come with a charging gauge., Put the battery in and it tells you how charged it is. At £5 it's worth it even if you don't use them for charging :)

Probably bad I know, but I only use USB chargers with a mix of OEM and 3'rd party batteries. They take longer to charge but are smaller and lighter with no cumbersome power lead, and the house and car are dotted with USB charging transformers from Apple, Samsung, Amazon et al.
Can you provide a link to one you have found to be reliable?

Real Name
Mel
I use a Wasabi charger for my third party batteries and an Olympus charger for Original Olympus batteries. I have a mix of Powerextra, Wasabi, Kastar and Olympus batteries. The only two that have failed due to swelling have been Wasabi. They do seem to hold the charge well but must not be left on the charger excess time periods.

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't have this camera, but have found non-Olympus & non-Panasonic batteries much worse than original ones. For PEN-F and GX9 I got 2nd original battery for 50 € each.

Why carry 2 batteries that don't hold up charge & worsen more quickly when you can buy 1 original one for a little more money and have similar run time. Haven't got experience with Wasabi, but these were from a Finnish shop with warranty.

Real Name
Mel
Let's see the economics. We have 4 Olympus batteries that give us about 300 shots each. We have 8 third party ones that get about 250-275. The Olympus cost about $65.00 each or a tad more depending on where we buy them. The thrird party batteries cost about $10-12 each. I guess that is why we buy third party batteries. None have exploded, none have caught on fire, only two Wasabis had the swelling problems and that was from too long on the charger. I suspect I will continue to use both the originals and the third party ones.

RS86

Mu-43 Veteran
Let's see the economics. We have 4 Olympus batteries that give us about 300 shots each. We have 8 third party ones that get about 250-275. The Olympus cost about $65.00 each or a tad more depending on where we buy them. The thrird party batteries cost about $10-12 each. I guess that is why we buy third party batteries. None have exploded, none have caught on fire, only two Wasabis had the swelling problems and that was from too long on the charger. I suspect I will continue to use both the originals and the third party ones.
Sure, but this 250-275 shots vs 300 is not even close to what I have had with E-M10 II & GX9. More like 200 vs 300 and with age that gap is even bigger. They also ran out of fuel at the end much easier and without proper warning, and the total drain is bad for batteries.

50 euros is not very much in my opinion for 2nd battery. Maybe Wasabi is better, but I have tried others enough to put my money on original ones. Also having more batteries in the bag weigh more, and most want to cut unnecessary weight. Each to their own, just my own experience and opinion.

Real Name
Keith
I did have a Wasabi battery die.

The first time it failed on me, I thought I'd done something to run it down, and didn't have a spare with me. (It was a relatively short family outing.)

Then a few days later I was going out on a boat ride (open boat on the ocean) and didn't bring lenses or batteries to swap to prevent sea-water from getting inside. (And I'd happened to pick that battery again.)

(It showed fine when you first put it in the camera, but died within a few shots.)

I can't say that the Wasabi is more likely to die; but now I try to keep a branded battery available on any given outing.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
My batteries are numbered so that I can use them in rotation, that way each battery gets used regularly and charged regularly.

Obviously, if one starts to go bad, I can keep my eye on it knowing exactly which one it is and knowing it has been treated exactly the same as the others.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
Why carry 2 batteries that don't hold up charge & worsen more quickly when you can buy 1 original one for a little more money and have similar run time. Haven't got experience with Wasabi, but these were from a Finnish shop with warranty.
Because it's not. A new Panny battery is $50. I can get Four + off brand batteries for the same $, and as I previously stated, the run time is very similar after 2 or 3 charges. A look through this thread shows that to be the case for most of us, provided you're using the generally accepted name brands.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom