Has anyone found a large eyecup suitable for eyeglasses for either the Lumix G9 or the Olympus E-M1 II ?

jeffbuzz

Mu-43 Regular
There are several aftermarket large eyecups for Nikon, Canon and Sony bodies such as the Hoodman that are designed to fit around eyeglasses rather than direct against the bare eye. I have not found anything similar to fit my m43 bodies. Any other Rx eyeglass wearers out there?

1575311696087.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
There is a large Panasonic eye-cup out there for the G9, cant say how well works as mine is underway by mail. If it is somwhat like the large panasonic piece of the GX8, it will be a great add-on. :)

The Panasonic Eyecup Lumix Black DMW-EC4-K is the thing called.

jeffbuzz

Mu-43 Regular
Aha! The G9 owners manual only lists "DMW-EC4" as the "eye cup" so I thought that was the original replacement part. I now see some websites list that as "Enhanced". I'll give one a try. Thank you.

Hannety

Mu-43 Regular
list that as "Enhanced"
It is about as tall as stock, about 20% wider, at least twice as deep at the sides, and a bit deeper top and bottom. The rubber is softer and deforms easily. I am happy with it generally and much prefer it for blocking bright sunlight. I don't know that it is going to work better with eyeglasses. Deforming the rubber with glasses is probably uncomfortable and without deformation it is going to hold your eye further from the EVF than stock.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It is about as tall as stock, about 20% wider, at least twice as deep at the sides, and a bit deeper top and bottom. The rubber is softer and deforms easily. I am happy with it generally and much prefer it for blocking bright sunlight. I don't know that it is going to work better with eyeglasses. Deforming the rubber with glasses is probably uncomfortable and without deformation it is going to hold your eye further from the EVF than stock.
Agreed, I think these cups are more designed for wrapping around the side of your face than your glasses.

barry13

Mu-43.com Editor
Real Name
Barry
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/ep-13-optional-large-eyecup-e-m1.html

Note:
This one’s a return than a sell - Olympus EP-13 eye cup.
I first found out about it from this very forum and I assumed since it’s larger it will be better for someone who wears glasses like me. It’s not. Strange but true. The cup is not only larger width wise, its also deeper so my glasses are further away from the viewfinder and I end up with same or even smaller viewing area than the default eye cup.:doh::dash2:

Bummer. Took me about 2 days to realize that this isn’t going to work for me. I’m guessing the glasses need to be much smaller to have any benefit out of this.

bpjod

Mu-43 Rookie
I got to try the Olympus EP-13 in store (thankfully) and to my surprise, I had the same experience as Sleepy Capybara. Didn't expect that. Left without purchasing.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Your glasses can't just be smaller, they have to wrap around your face like goggles. I don't think there's any luck for eyeglasses wearers except for greater eye relief ala e-m5.3 or contacts.

Oh, and in case you ever try to get one of those viewfinder magnification enlargers - my experience is that it reduces the eye relief, so to see the enlarged picture, you have to mash your face against your glasses even harder.

What does seem to work beautifully is one of those Hoodman style rear LCD enlargers. I can't remember if I had eye relief issues the last time I used one, but the picture is glorious.

ooheadsoo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have a DMW- EC4 on my G9 - much deeper than the standard eyecup and very flexible
This should be what you are looking for
Rob, very interested in how it works with your eyeglasses. Is it supple enough that you don't press your face into the glass?

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Rob, very interested in how it works with your eyeglasses. Is it supple enough that you don't press your face into the glass?
Hi @ooheadsoo
Although I wear glasses for reading I don’t wear them for shooting as the diopter is adequate for my eyes. I bought it because I prefer a deeper eyecup to keep out extraneous light and it was on offer some time ago direct from Panasonic
It is very very supple and flexible so I think it will be what you are looking for and from memory is quite a bit bigger and more supple than the EM1/2 equivalent
I’d recommend the G9 without reservation - the ergonomics are superb and the EVF is outstanding (ignore the comments about the pincushion effect on the edges which are not an issue during actual use)
Here are some pictures - hope these help
Regards
Rob
704CF673-47DB-4252-A3A5-F3B623736072.jpeg
6B12CE6A-5846-48C7-ACB8-052254F99F56.jpeg
6B12CE6A-5846-48C7-ACB8-052254F99F56.jpeg

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
That's basically my experience with the large GX8 eye cups. I can't see the whole frame without special effort. Mostly I just leave them folded back and out of the way.

I bought a few Hoodman eyecups when they were on sale at B & H and then got a few Ep-14 and 12 eyecups from Olympus and hacked them for this very usable mod. I keep one in my bag and the other two at home in storage for when I lose the one in my bag (I always lose something when in the field).
Works beautifully as intended. As an aside, I used a mix of Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Clear glue (flexible) and it has been holding very reliably.

Attachments

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom