1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Has anyone figured out how to use C-AF & C-AF TR focus settings?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cornelius, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Cornelius

Cornelius Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    I literally never use these two focus settings. For all my work, I use the trusty S-AF MF focus mode. Every time I dip into these modes I find them uncomfortable to use when locking in on a moving subject. I recently tried the tracking and watched the image go in and out of focus thru the viewfinder. I experimented on got some accurate shots with one miss, but I just don't feel comfortable using it. Continuous auto focus doesn't instill much confidence either as the focus appears jittery. Anyone have any tips or thoughts on using these focus modes?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I think the technology just isn't there yet with AF tracking on CDAF. Maybe in another few years?

3. marcr1230

marcr1230 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    C-AF is simple , switch to low continuous shooting rate and C-AF and the camera with refocus btw shots
    Ibis is automatically disabled is this case I think
    It works well enough - see my threads about sports photography

C-AF + TR is worthless , tracking gets confused in anything but perfectly simple conditions

4. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chris
    Agree with this. I find C-AF pretty good, honestly. It's not DSLR quality, and as you say it doesn't really inspire confidence, but the results are not bad. I'm not sure about the IBIS being disabled... I thought there was a setting to control that, but I could be mistaken.

One thing I did find was setting the focus Lock to High improved my results in my kids' soccer games. Also, when you first press the shutter button to start focusing, if you give it a 1/2 second or so to find focus (square turns green) and then let it track it works better. Trying to just shoot instantly generally gets you at least one out of focus frame, and from what I recall, the camera takes a couple frames to overcome a big shift out of focus.

5. Cornelius

Cornelius Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    I forgot to mention that this is on EM5...

Will look up focus lock.

6. Ccasey

Ccasey Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Chris
    Ah, sorry - my comments were about my E-M1. I've never used an E-M5 so I don't know how much will apply. Best of luck.

7. christofp

christofp Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I have both: EM1 and EM5.

Quite a big difference. I found the C-AF mode with my EM5 more or less useless. I switch to "S-AF M" 99,9% of time.

On my EM1, things are better. C-AF with framerate L and ShutterPrio=off is very useful, 90% keeper rate. Quite a difference to the EM5.
    I use C-AF 30% of time and for faster access I have replaced one useless mode on the Mode-Wheel with a C-AF MySet (S-mode, 1/1000s, C-AF, 4 frames/s, AF-Prio)

Christof

8. Cornelius

Cornelius Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    Well it looks I'm stuck with two useless focus modes on the EM5. I have no idea how the engineers could release that. Hopefully a miracle firmware update will improve the performance.

9. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    You must not be an engineer. If it was up to the engineers, no camera would ever be released. Its the marketing guys that shove them along.

That said, C-AF TR is ok for me, I get a hit rate of upper 70's to lower 80's. The problem is if the subject moves out of the frame or gets near something of similar color/lighting, then all bets are off. Tracking a kid wearing a red shirt on a grassy field works pretty well. Switch to a green shirt and you are out of luck. There is only one mirrorless system that is excellent at C-AF and C-AF TR, and that is the Nikon 1. The old Fuji's are TERRIBLE and even the XT1 appears to be in the same ballpark as M43.

10. Cornelius

Cornelius Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    You're right. Marketers. Of course.

11. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    I tried CAF +TR to shoot my little ones on the swing, and it drove me crazy. Sometimes it focuses on the face, the hands, the swings, etc.

I went back to SAF and shoot away. This was with the EPM2.

12. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Swinging is a torture test on any camera. How can the camera know which direction the swing is going to move?

13. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Did you try to use the touch screen to start the AF on a face? That can help sometimes.

Swings are tough, if you get better than 50% in focus with any focus mode, you're doing really well.

Honestly (and I need to try this myself), for swinging the best method might be to use manual focus, pre-focus to a point in the path, and time the shutter release to when the swing will be at that point.

14. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Well, it's not just us with AF issues, Thom Hogan is saying that it's the biggest current problem on all cameras, including DSLRs:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/its-the-focus-nikon-should.html

According to his use during a recent workshop, even the E-M1 couldn't keep up in all cases. And on the DSLR side, the D7100 had issues as well.

C-AF is becoming the biggest weakness of all current cameras it seems. Let's hope that Olympus sees this and decides to work on it in their next generation of cameras.

15. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    As an engineer, I can attest to the fact that we'd never release a thing until its absolutely perfect. How often does that happen? Almost never.