1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Has anyone every worked with the image software from Panasonic?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by EricRose, Jun 29, 2015.

1. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    Generally I just toss the disks that come with a camera however I was wondering if anyone has ever really given the Panasonic software a real go? I got a GX-7 and of course it came with the usual disks which to date I haven't loaded. I use PS and LR but sometimes the manufacturers RAW converter is better. I found that to be true with Nikon's software.

Just wondering.

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    The huge problem with any of the camera maker apps is the depth and breath of the offering. They don't have a good library function with a solid underlying database. They don't have anywhere near the editing capabilities of Lightoom or Capture 1 Pro, and there are zero plugins that do round trips that bring back a modified TIF, PSD, or DNG.

You can use DxO Optics as a plugin to Lightroom. You can then use the Adobe raw convert and Develop module for basic editing or, send the file to DxO for raw conversion and basic editing. DxO will bring back a DNG file to the Lightroom library. There you can do further edits with Lightroom Develop module or send the file off to one of the many different plugins such as the Nik Collection, Topaz Labs apps, Photoshop, Pixelmator, or Perfect Photo Suite.

One of my friends works at the top camera shop in Atlanta. He was a Nikon diehard. He sold his huge collection of Nikon equipment and went Fuji. He now swears by that system. For post processing he dumped the combo of Nikon, LR and PS. HE now uses Capture 1 Pro and says it is the best post processing environment he has ever used.

The point is....don't lock in on an camera maker's software. They are typically not a software house and don't make a living from just doing post processing software. Look to companies that do it for a living.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  3. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    All good thoughts and pretty much what I do now. However I was looking for someone who has actually used the Panasonic software for RAW conversion and get their thoughts.

4. PMCC

PMCC Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2013
    The Pana software is a modified version of Silkypix, which IS a commercial software. It is very good except the UI. I consider its highlight handling better than LR, etc. (many magic hour photos posted here have ugly color clipping).

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I tried it when I first got into m43. The version that came with the GX1 seemed fairly limited and wasn't particularly impressive when compared to LR.

6. mrmessy

mrmessy Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 12, 2012
    I do use SilkyPix exclusively. First as it came bundled with my G3 and then I paid for an upgrade to version 5 when they had a special offer on. I have been very satisfied with it particularly as I have managed to get it running on Linux. In particular it deals with the barrel distortion at 14mm on the kit lens very well. I have never had the opportunity to compare it with Lightroom.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1