Has anyone ever used a dedicated solar telescope for solar videography/photography?

Xx123456xX

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jake
Though it's certainly not on my immediate wish list, I've been considering getting a dedicated solar telescope eventually. Is there anyone on here who has tried one on a MFT camera for photo or video? If so what was your experience?

MadMarco

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't have a dedicated solar scope, just an ordinary solar filter. This is what I got from from sunspot AR2192.

Sun - 2014-10-27 - AR2192.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

AllanG

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Allan
You need a dedicated solar scope, a fast camera such as the ZWO 120mm and a good laptop with at least 2Tb of space on it. A friend of mine on iceinspace.com.au does some excellent continuous imaging of flares, sunspots and general mayhem.

Xx123456xX

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jake
You need a dedicated solar scope, a fast camera such as the ZWO 120mm and a good laptop with at least 2Tb of space on it. A friend of mine on iceinspace.com.au does some excellent continuous imaging of flares, sunspots and general mayhem.

I just saw some images there, I'm not sure if any were your friend's. They were quite impressive.

Also, are all the NASA video feeds of the Sun real time? I know that solar material erupts quite quickly, but seeing something that large move at such speed doesn't look natural. Could a dedicated solar telescope and MFT camera get me similar results (if, of course, I happen to have my GH5 attached at the right time)?

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
Why not just take pictures of the sun at night? that way you don't need a fancy filter or scope /s

Latest threads

Top Bottom