Has anyone created an ACR/LR preset to emulate Olympus JPEGs?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Jonathan F/2, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm wondering if anyone has created a sharpening/NR preset for ACR or LR that emulates Olympus' settings when shooting jpeg? I've gotten close, but I can't seem to nail it. Olympus files tend to be a tad smoother, but retains good detail. I know I can just shoot jpeg, but I'd like to shoot raw for the other benefits of the format! Thanks for any help!

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Haven't tried but you did say that "Olympus files tend to be a tad smoother" and that suggests to me that the key may be the noise reduction setting you use.

My understanding is that the values on the noise reduction scale are camera related in some way, i.e. a setting of 20 may not be quite the same amount of noise reduction with different cameras. In his book "The Digital Negative", Jeff Schewe says that the adjustment is tuned "so that a setting of 25 is a reasonable balance of noise reduction applied and detail preserved". In his Lightroom book, Martin Evening suggests using a setting between 5 and 20 and says that it shouldn't be necessary to go beyond 50 except in extreme circumstances.

I've gone up and down over time with how much luminance noise reduction I use. I started out using a setting of around 20-25, reduced it to around 15 and then down to around 5-10. I'm currently back up around the 18-25 mark but usually less than 22. The image looks smoother at higher settings but you start to lose fine detail at higher levels also, but the other sharpening settings tend to have an impact on where you start to lose detail. I tend to use the 2 supplied sharpening presets as starting points for sharpening depending on the image. I also rarely touch the other noise reduction settings because the defaults for the settings other than luminance noise reduction seem to work quite well.

The other thing you need to consider with constructing a preset which includes noise reduction is that the reason the default setting for luminance noise reduction is zero is because noise reduction process is processor intensive so adding noise reduction to a sharpening preset can slow down the speed with which LR/ACR can render the image after you apply the preset.

I'd try playing with settings of 20, 25, and 30 and see how they compare to your JPEGs. I think 30 is probably pushing it a bit too far for images that don't have underexposure problems but I think a lot will depend on how smooth you want things to look and how much detail you're prepared to sacrifice in the process.

3. Nawty

Nawty Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Have you used the camera calibration control?

I often find setting that to camera natural and then reducing the sharpening diameter to 0.7 replicates the jpgs quite well, certainly is nicer than the default Adobe calibration.

Edit, I also find not upping the sharpening too high is a good thing.