1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Has anyone bought the RX-10 to replace some of their mu-43 lenses/bodies?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by penfan2010, Apr 29, 2014.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I've been debating whether or not to sell off some lenses and a body to simplify my mu-43 gear, and then just buy an RX-10. I am specifically thinking of unloading my E-M5 and potentially the Panny 14-140 and 35-100 F2.8. I use the 14-140 a lot for walk around photos when I need the wide FOV range, and the 35-100 for shots of my son's marching band performances and stage concerts (which are seasonal, and therefore not sure they justify having such an expensive lens on hand). I would keep the GX-7 for shooting with primes and my legacy MF lenses, as well as the 12-35mm F2.8 which I use quite a bit and find to be very sharp. I would also keep the GM-1 and kit zoom for poortability. Any thoughts from real world users of the RX-10 are appreciated.

2. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Hmmm i also think similar with you but to replace my Sony NEX 5n with Sony RX100. Will keep my EM5 though.

3. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    I bought an RX-10 as an alternative to expanding m43 outfit. I'm happy with it, and a great lens and image quality. Yes, I've heard all the reasons why this "makes no sense", etc, but for me it works. Nice to not have to decide about which body/lens/etc, just garb it and you're pretty much covered: very good video, excellent quality stills, a pleasure to use. Nothing is without its drawbacks, It just works for me. Check out some of the posts about it on Kirk Tuck's Visual Science Lab, Uwe Steinmuller at outback photo, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks, Rick. I'm a regular reader of Kirk's blog, and interesting to see how he's moved fully to all mu43+ the RX10. Also read the Luminous Landscape review and Ming Thein's perspective. Will check out Uwe's article. Glad to hear your personal experience has been good

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    If it was a $700-800 camera, I might have bought it. At well over $1000, I'll pass.

6. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    That's the biggest problem, it has such great tech in it but the only reason why I wouldn't get it over a m43 is for primes, I love my 25mm f1.4 and while the RX10 ticks so many boxes and I think it would be perfect for casual videographers it would be a easier pill to swallow if it was a bit cheaper.

7. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    thanks. In this case I would sell the Panny 35-100 and a few other things to fund the RX-10, if I did go that route. So, the goal is to make the switch on a cost-neutral basis.

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Sony cameras have just never made sense to me. I've always find Nikon, Fuji, Olympus have made the most sense to me.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

9. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for the perspective from various folks on the forum. After more research, and the discovery of a sub$1K LNIB variant, I sprung for the RX-10. I sold off the Panny 35-100 F2.8 and Olympus 12mm F2.0 to help fund the purchase, and have no regrets. I am unloading another body and zoom, and, based on my tests today, may sell off a few more items in my m43 kit. Posted the image below with my GM-1 in another post; this is going to make a great travel combo, methinks.

P8660873.jpg

A few from the RX-10 below, the first two at ISO 3200, the rest at ISO 200 but with the Clear digital zoom racked up to 2x setting in a few cases (nice to have a 400mm equiv with max. aperture of F2.8).

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00060.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

DSC00131.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Does the clear digital zoom feature work when shooting raws at the largest file size? For instance, i can use the 2x zoom on my Panasonic cameras, but in jpeg only, and with a largest file size of M instead of L.

Also, how do you find the zoom speed of the lens when you're taking photographs?

11. ttomino1980

ttomino1980 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2014
    Slovakia
    to me ... pics are not convincing ...just saying

but the gm1 is so cute with pancake

12. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    I purchased the RX10 when it was released last fall, but sold it when I migrated back to m43rds this spring. Although the lens is great, and I'm satisfied with the quality of the sensor – I've had the original RX100 since its release nearly two years ago – I found it frustrating to use. Focus speed was a bit "off" – not as fast as the RX100 nor my OMDs. Worse was the zoom mechanism. It's very slow to use. Depending on your shooting style, it could be problematic. If possible, I'd give it a good, extended try at a store before committing to a purchase.

Another issue to keep an eye on is focus point selection. With the Sonys, it's a two (if not three) step process to move the focus point around. Again, depending on your shooting style, it can become a frustrating camera to use. But if you can live with it's operational limitations, the image quality can be very good.

13. tconelly

tconelly Mu-43 Rookie

May 28, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    RX10 + M4/3?

I've been using a Sony RX10 along with my Olympus E-M5 since December. I'm also impressed with the flexibility and image quality of the RX10. It's often difficult to tell the difference between the two cameras (with the usual disclaimers of not pixel peeping and not printing very large). The the E-M5 is obviously better in low light but I've been surprised at how capable the RX10 is. It has an auto mode that in low light takes three photos and blends them in a way that retains good sharpness while minimizing noise. There are examples of low light shots in the flickr links below.

It's true that there are some ergonomic issues with the RX10, including the slow zoom, but what camera doesn't have limitations? I think that it is a better urban camera than it is for landscapes and that it is not capable of handling fast motion. But, overall, especially as a travel camera, I think it's a camera worth considering

A good travel combination could be the RX10 with its wide focal range and flexibility plus the Olympus with some primes.

DSC02574.jpg Raw_Landscape-02262.jpg DSC02017.jpg

Here's links to some more examples. I'm sure if you look hard enough you can determine that the RX10 is an excellent camera or, if you prefer, a limited camera with poor image quality

http://www.pbase.com/tconelly/santafe_albuquerque (last set of shots of heritage farm compares E-M5 + 12-40 vs. RX10)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99341985@N05/sets/72157639628246064/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99341985@N05/sets/72157638482125776/

• Like Like x 1
  14. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Clearzoom is also limited to JPG, it seems. Just tried it on RAW and got as far as the maximum optical tele end only. Zooming is a bit slow, but not bad for general shooting in still (two speeds, one using zoom ring on lens is slow, the toggle around the shutter release button seems faster). On video, the zooming is dramatically slower as I am sure you've read in other reviews.

15. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Subjectively, the RX-10 images match up with my old E-PL3 (certainly would not be as sharp as the sensor on my E-M5 and GX-7), but the color and quality is great for my purposes.

16. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks, have only started to use the RX-10, and in the limited situations I've used it, have not found AF to be an issue. For most other cases, I've still got my E-M5, GX-7 as well as the GM-1 and an assortment of m43 lenses, so am covered for many other situations. Debating whether I should now sell the E-M5 and the Panny 14-140…..but I love my E-M5 too much.

17. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    It took me a bit of time before coming up against the RX10 operational issues that I couldn't work with, but image quality and features (e.g., video) were good. I'm still planning to hold on to my well-worn RX100 (especial for video), but find the E-M1/E-M10 with the Oly 14-150 and/or 14-42 EZ, coupled with a prime or two, makes for a better travel system for me. Maybe just give it a longer period of time and see how things shake out in a month or two. From my own experience, in the past I've sold old equipment assuming something new would fit my needs better and it hasn't always been the case.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I think about stuff like this sometimes. I would kind of like to get a Ricoh GR, but the PL15 is coming out at about the same price (the GR is a fixed 28mm equivalent). Even though these different cameras can have some very clear advantages (the GR is tiny compared to ANY of my 43 bodies, and might have better IQ), does anybody else get hung up on the fact that cameras depreciate much faster than lenses?

19. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    It is an unfortunate reality. Even in the film days, good lenses held their value, while bodies tended to depreciate faster. My observation in the digital world is that the cameras with unique features, or which are not upgraded as often, tend to keep their value longer. Used models of the Fuji X100 (original), or the X-Pro 1, seem to have depreciated less quickly than the various Olympus Pens and Panasonic iterations. Then there are the Leica Ms, but those are another category all together.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Keep the 35-100, you will be able to upgrade bodies over time and take advantage of better equipment.