Has anyone bought the remote cable release for Olympus cameras off eBay?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jambaj0e, Apr 26, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
  2. mu43oo

mu43oo New to Mu-43

Apr 4, 2011
    I have this one and it works fine.

RC-201/UC1

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    there's been quite a few threads about this on here already and most people haven't had too many problems, you should be able to find them searching for "remote shutter"

I bought one of the $15 or $20 (can't remember now but it was dirt cheap) off ebay from HK or China, it worked too. although I eventually found a glitch in the way they wired it together and had to unsolder and resolder one of the cables. I think I'd posted the details of that on a thread on here too. It wasn't a major fault though, it just meant if the camera could not obtain focus it would get stuck and wouldn't release the camera for the next picture.

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    I bought a cheap one for my Pany GH2 (it was $7 I think, including shipping from China) off of eBay and it works fine. The cord is shorter than I'd like, but it amuses my four-year-old to no end to be able to take pictures of himself.

5. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    It's the luck of the draw. Some are fine and will work for ever, some are badly made and will give up the ghost after a few uses, some just won't work!

6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I've gotten 2 duds (Chinese made knock-offs). Disappointing, but for a few bucks shipped I can't complain too much.

Makes me wonder if it's the E-P1 though instead of the possibility of 2 faulty units in a row.

7. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
  8. Spanjaart

Spanjaart Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    cable release

I had one which did not work but put a bit of rubber foam inside and after that worked perfectly.

9. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
  10. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
  11. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    you didn't specify which Oly you have.....if its the EPL1, check my thread about a home made release, and check the photos under the remote pics threads...( 3 threads total )

12. cinemafia

cinemafia Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Good to know, as I was thinking of buying one of these as well.

13. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I got a wireless one for xmas, and it works very well. It has the name Hahnel on it, but I'm sure it's an el-cheapo item from China via EBay (no offense intended to China or EBay).

14. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I have the E-PL2. Looks like the wireless has to run off the hot-shoe, huh? Or does it have its own dedicated power source (batteries)?

15. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    The one I have has its own battery in the main part that connects to the camera, and the little handset has its own battery as well. The main part plugs into the USB port on the camera (it came with a couple of plug adapters). It has an attachment to fasten it to the hotshoe, but it does not need the hotshoe. I guess that is just to keep it held in place so it doesn't dangle about.

16. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    does the EPL2 support a remote? the EPL1 doesn't...

17. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    does the EPL2 support a remote? the EPL1 doesn't......

18. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    Yep, the E-PL1 is the only one that doesn't. All other models including the E-PL2 can use the remote cable release.

• Like Like x 1