Has anyone been able to test ASP3?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by GBarrington, May 17, 2016.

1. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I'm busy with some other contractual software obligations right now and won't be able to get to doing it for myself until November or December, but I'd be very interested in hearing what others think about it in terms of m43s

I've heard there's a bug in the highlights recovery tab, which is unfortunate since that seems to be one of the areas they were using as marketing talking points. (This kind of stuff makes me wonder if the marketing people ever bother to talk to the developers at all!)

What about other DR issues and Noise Reduction? Any gaps in m43s camera coverage?

2. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    What is ASP3? Searching Google gets me "Army Strategic Planning". :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GBarrington

It never occurred to me that some would not know about Corel's After Shot Pro. (used to be Bibble), sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  4. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    I got free serial number for it. I immediately ran into issues with dual screen on windows 10. I couldn't drag it up on to my main screen. When I moved it with keyboard shortcuts I could get it there and maximize it, it seemed a bit jumpy when editing probably due to this. I reported the bug to the guy who gave me the serial number (he worked for adobe and was giving them away). It eventually crashed on me and I didn't load it up again. So I haven't been able to test it in depth but it's not really giving me a warm fuzzy feeling.

5. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    No problem. I knew of Bibble, but didn't realize the name had changed.

6. GBarrington

You mean Corel, right?

7. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Oops yes. But apart from those issues I like the layout of it.

8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I gave up with ASP not long after Corel acquired it. Back in Bibble days it was a class-leading product but Corel's neglect and incompetence (e.g. they fired the Austin Dev team) have pushed it into the backwaters. I assumed it was dead so I'm amazed there's a version 3. It might be fun to reminisce and give it a run, but there's no way I'd trust it as my prime image library - I still think its long term future is bleak.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Tried it, uninstalled it. It doesn't have profile for correcting P12-35mm/f2.8 distortion.

10. Moula

Moula Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    I liked Bibble. Then "upgraded" to ASP 2. Worked quite fine with my older cameras. But Corel wanted me to pay second time without even adding support for my current staff. And also communication with them is terrible. R.I.P. Corel.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GBarrington

I would be unlikely to switch to ASP3. The highlights recovery bug alone would keep me from it, though I realize that will likely get fixed with the next maintenance release. ACDSee's Light EQ has always been very good at highlight and shadow recovery, and I think ACDSee is on the right track in terms of adding new features.

But I suspect Corel is at a crossroads similar to what Adobe found itself in, though it is probably playing itself out in slower motion. New sales of traditional bit mapped editors is slipping, people likely to buy an editor, already have one, and the only way to get NEW customers is to lure them away from other editors. That is a limited population and the constant demand to add new features to an already mature product line is expensive and reaching the point where it's only marginally effective.

Adobe's answer was the "Creative Cloud". I suspect Corel sees its answer as moving its primary focus away from Paintshop Pro to AfterShot Pro. (they better,if they are smart, their reputation won't support a subscription only service) The workflow tools market is an area that is still growing, and it may be possible to pick up some disaffected users of Lightroom. It's taking a while to gear up a competent staff, but its early ASP efforts were probably hampered by Corel's corporate culture.

The old strategy of "Buy it, milk it for immediate sales, and bury it in the makeshift graveyard out back." had to change, since the PSP cash cow just isn't giving steady milk like it had in the past. I know I only upgraded PSP X6 to PSP X8 when they offered me a price of $14 US, and even then, I thought a day and a half before I did it. (BTW - PSP is still a very good editor and it's totally worth $14 for the upgrade, I don't think it's worth a $60 upgrade price from PSP X6)

I wonder if ASP 4 will be released in 12 -18 months or if we will see a 2-3 year lag for it again? The way I see it, ASP needs to get on a regular version upgrade cycle if Corel wants me to take ASP seriously.

Last edited: May 19, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Agreed. They have a lot of credibility to rebuild.