Has anybody used 4K Photo Mode?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Replytoken, Jun 17, 2017.

1. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I know that Panasonic offers a 4K Photo mode on its newer bodies that creates an 8MP still image, but have not heard much about the quality of the images. Ming Thein just put up a post talking about this type of technology in general, and he made a few critical observations from his experiences Crystal ball gazing: Predicting the photographic ecosystem in 10 years, part I . I was wondering if others were noticing the same issues specifically from Panasonic's 4K Photo mode. Any thoughts?

--Ken

2. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Well you have to understand that 4K Photo means you no longer shooting at standard video shutter speeds (1/50, 120, ect). You can select very fast shutter speeds and thus freeze your subject with 4K photo - they look rather "choppy" if viewed as a move at high shutter speeds.You are quite likely to get very sharp images at 8 meg @ 1/2000 of a bee in flight if focus is correct. I've used it at times and it is a useful tool but you have to have your jpg settings dialed in for it to be good.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks for the reply. Are raw files available in this mode?

--Ken

4. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 4, 2015
    No raw files in 4k/6k photo mode.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    bahamot is correct, no RAW 4K photo, But I think Gh5 is supposed to get a 6K photo later.

6. bahamot

Dec 4, 2015
    6K photo mode is already enable in GH5 from firmware 1.0.

7. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I have used it, but not in pre-burst mode. I find with pre burst I still cannot capture the moment.
    Also used the post focus and stacking. The stacking is a bit hit and miss though.

8. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Well, that is a bit disappointing. I like to shoot raw, and thought this might be a new feature that could prove handy. It's not often that I shoot jpegs exclusively, so it is good to know about this before relying on it to make any purchase decisions.

Thanks,

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bahamot

Dec 4, 2015
    Just FYI, with GH5, if you extracted the 4K/6K photo, the camera will apply noise reduction based on the previous and and after frames (can be disabled).
    If you take 4K photo then you can reduce rolling shutter effect too in GH5.

10. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    If you understand the limitations of this mode, it can be very useful. It is best suited for when you absolutely cannot predict when something will happen and it will happen fast. I've used it successfully for dragonfly take off and landing. I know the where, but not the when and nobody has the reaction time to capture a 2G take off. Bright sunlight, very fast shutter speed.

P1040291-2-X2.

P1010531-4-X2.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I use both 4K and 6K photo, a lot. Especially for sports photography, it really comes down to never missing the money shot. My preference is shooting in shutter priority mode. It's the kind of feature that you never missed, nor ever thought you would ever use - until you try it.