1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Has anybody tried with the Pentax 50mm 1.4 C Mount lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jonathan F/2, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I tried doing a search in the adapted lens archive, but no one seems to have reviewed this lens. I'm debating getting either this lens or one of the new APS-C 50mm 1.8 c mount lenses on Ebay. Not really interested in an SLR 50mm, mainly because of size and I want a lens with a more "atmospheric" look that c-mount lenses tend to have. Thanks for any input!

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, how old is it?

I had my Dad's Pentax Takumar and SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 lenses (1970's, m42 Pentax mount); when I tried them on my E-M1, I found them to be very soft (compared to Olympus mu-43 and 4/3 lenses), even stopped down.
    I also noticed some Chromatic Aberration at wider apertures.

PentaxForums has lots of Pentax lens reviews, but note that sharpness will usually be much better on larger sensors or film, so take the sharpness ratings with a big grain of salt.

Barry

3. emergo

emergo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2010
    Colorado
    Erik
    Pentax (now Ricoh) has a ton of C Mount lenses for scientific, technical and security purposes. I'd love to see how these perform on M43. http://www.ricoh.com/fa_security/lens/

I've been a member of Pentax Forums for a while and not many folks over there have used, or even know, about their C Mount lenses. there is a C & D Mount thread for users of the Pentax Q. one guy there felt that the Pentax C Mounts performed fine, but not as nicely as the Switars or Yvars. Some of these lenses in the past appear to have also been branded Cosmicar as well as Pentax, so you should be able to find them that way too.