1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hardcore weather sealing test for the E-M5 / 12-50 lens.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bitmatt, Apr 23, 2012.

1. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    The weather sealing works.

Super windy & chilly on the shores of Lake Erie today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did NOT see this wave coming until it was too late:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

E-M5 and photographer completely soaked. Both still functioning. Try that with an X-Pro 1! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 39
  2. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Great dramatic shots Bitmatt...! Thanks for posting these and testing the weather sealing for us...:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steph

Steph Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 18, 2011
    Martinique
    Stephane
    Ha ha Crazy!! Great camera! No fog issue with the viewfinder ?

4. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Nice dramatic photos.

I was able to test the E-M5's weather sealing last weekend when I went to Hakone, Japan for vacation. The weather is not so good. It rains from time to time. I have the 20mm and 45mm but I opted to use the 12-50mm kit because of the bad weather.

I was still able to get pictures inspite of the rain. Thanks to the weather sealing.

Normally, when I'm out and it's raining, I don't shoot anymore. I will just keep the camera in my bag until the rain stops. But with E-M5 + 12-5- combo, I'm confident to shoot even when it's raining. The E-M5 was not soaking wet during picture taking. Just some water droplets from the rain. I feel secure and confident to shoot knowing that the camera in my hand is weather sealed.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stubb

Stubb Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Andreas
    Fun photos! Knowing that I'll be taking the camera to Iceland later this year is one of the reasons that I ordered the E-M5 instead of the X-Pro1. Reading Lloyd Chambers's comments on the X-Pro1 reaffirmed the wisdom of that decision.

—Andreas

• Like Like x 1
  6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Awesome photos! Looking forward to more native m4/3 weather-sealed lenses in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    No fog in the viewfinder. My clear lens filter did fog after I got back in the car, but that was the only part of the rig that wasn't weather-sealed.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Dramatic stuff! Did you have a towel to wipe off the camera afterwards?

DH

• Like Like x 1
  9. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    Stunning images, thanks for posting. Also a stern test for weather sealing.

Yesterday evening I waited patiently in my car for the rain to stop so I could take a shot of the scene below with my Panasonic G3 and 14-45mm kit lens. The rain never stopped so, just as the light was rapidly fading, I improvised and "weather sealed" my G3 with a plastic bag I got free with some Chinese food.

I made a hole in the bottom of the bag that fit tightly around my lens hood then used the hole in the top of the bag to access the controls. The rain was medium to heavy by British standards, so it was a reasonable test of my "weather sealing". I managed eight or nine reasonably worthwhile shots in about five minutes in the rain. When I got back to the car, I only had to dry off the lens hood. Luckily, there was not one spot of water anywhere else on the camera or lens.

So who needs an E-M5, eh? :rolleyes:

P1020397b.
    Panasonic G3, 14-45mm, 1/40 sec at f/5.6.

• Like Like x 2
  10. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Sure did. But I was hopeless- my clothes were so soggy that now my car seat is just drippy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    The only camera I ever owned that had insane weather sealing was my old Pentax K10D. I went water rafting with it, and dipped it into a river because it was dropped in mud, and that thing survived like a boss. Oh and the 1D Mk? that was with us died half way through.

12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Did your viewfinder fog-up? :biggrin:

13. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Not sure I'm comfy actually submerging this one yet, but we did get hit hard by that last wave. I had a brief instant of panic after that soaking, and then realized the thing was still shooting. Hadn't taken my finger off the trigger. All good!

14. s2kinfinite

s2kinfinite Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    Great pics!

• Like Like x 1
  15. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

dito :2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vulpix

Vulpix Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Please don't do that. :( The K10D is a cheap camera, and mine was paired with a weather sealed DA* 16-50mm. I am quite sure it was better built than the E-M5 to be honest. As much as I love the E-M5, I don't think it can match the weather sealing of the K10D.

17. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    I wonder what the audio portion would have sounded like...

"oh, $#!%" <click> <splash>

:)

• Like Like x 1
  18. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Here's some more weather testing. Sunset-

The clouds lifted & we had an amazing sunset, so back in the water I went.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't get quite as damp this time. Camera & lens continue to perform like champions. I have to say I'm far more impressed with the kit lens than I thought I'd be- it is extremely versatile.

By the way- did you folks have any idea we have such nice sunsets here in Cleveland? Bet you didn't! :)

• Like Like x 7
  19. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    The BW shots were already fantastic; thanks for adding the color shots of the sunset.

When my family and I lived in Pittsburgh we used to go by the Lake a lot, but only in sunny weather. Needless to say, I have never seen it as wild as shown in your photos. Great stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Ha! Actually- I was giggling like a five year old through this whole time. It was so fun! I felt like I was getting away with something I wasn't supposed to be doing. I've never had a camera I could take down into a watery mess like that before. This thing is tremendous.