Hard disc weirdness

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rich L, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Rich L

Rich L Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2011
    Hi all
    Just adopted an annoying problem that is way beyond my know how.

I've a couple of Iomega desk top drives, one 1tb that I use for storage, and a 500gb drive in regular use, that is downloading cards onto, processing etc.

I found I could just drag the file from the memory card drive over to the 500gb drive, drop it, and the transfer of files to the hard drive would go on leaving me making a cup of tea, come back, remove the card and job done.

Now though this hard drive has stopped accepting new data from cards, other progs, and it wont even save an image worked on from one of its own files. It has no issues giving out information - files still open up like they should, it just wont accept input. There is only about 20% of the space used on this disc, and when I try to add files on to it, it freezes the computer.

I did notice that the 2 desk top drives were renamed by the computer a while before all this stuff happened - they were I and J from new, but have been changed to J and K - possibly because I got a new card reader that became I, although I wouldnt have thought Windows would have done anything without a million confirmation prompting questions.

One drive is acting up, the other is fine - any ideas?

Cheers
    Richard

2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    You need to run chkdsk on it ASAP - make sure it scans for bad sectors as well as file system errors. If this turns out OK the best thing to do would be to get it attached to PC (with a SATA cable) and check the SMART info on it, as a USB connection can't do this.... there are various programs that will check the SMART for you if you get it connected.

Also, do you have another computer you can try it on?

I'm 99.9% sure it's absolutely nothing to do with drive letters.....

3. Rich L

Rich L Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2011
    Derek thanks for that, and I'll keep your info in mind.

What I ended up doing was formatting the disc. I moved all the files I wanted (good reason for a file clearout) onto the other drive then formatted. The drive that was acting up seems fine now, and operates like it should. The only difference is it is now called Local disc K and not Iomega HDD K.

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Copying the files off, reformatting, and copying the files back is pretty much a defragmentation operation. What you describe could be a problem with a highly fragmented hard drive. This is especially true if the drive serves as a workspace in which there are files being constantly saved and removed from disk.

5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello,

Is this a Mac. If it is:

Run repair permissions. That is in the applications -> utilities -> Disk utility

If it will dish them out, but not accept them, it could be as simple as that.

Alan