Hard decision - EPL5 or E-M10

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by pepinto_, May 23, 2014.

1. pepinto_

pepinto_ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Currently I have a Canon S95, but I want to upgrade to a M43 camera.
    Since its launch, the E-PL5 caught my attention, but I was waiting for a price drop.
    When the E-M10 was announced I fell in love for it, and even more after read the reviews of it.

A store near my home, in the following days will make a discount of 50€ in the purchase of a CSC or DSLR if we return an old dirty camera (film or digital). So, I searched in my "old items" box and I found an old film camera.

I tried the E-M10 at the store and it feels a quality product, it fits perfectly in the hand. The EVF, the dials, the screen ... I like everything.
    By the other side, the E-PL5 is more compact and light, also feels a quality product, but that 16:9 screen is :\

Now I have a dilema:

EM-10 + 14-42 (the old one, not the new powerzoom): 699€-50€ =649€
    E-PL5 + 14-42: 399€-50€ =349€

The E-PL5 costs almost half of the price of the E-M10, and my budget is not that large.

What is your opinion about these two cameras ?
    What would be your choice, having in mind these prices?

Can you help me to choose my first M43 camera?

2. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    How important is the EVF and more external controls?
  3. pepinto_

pepinto_ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    I think these items would be welcome.
  4. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don't forget to consider the E-P5.. 5 Axis stabilization in that puppy and can be had for $512 refurb through Olympus's sale … just putting it out there!
  5. pepinto_

pepinto_ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Thank you for the advice.
    I live in Europe and here the E-P5 is still overpriced.
  6. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    oh that sucks.. i would say em10 then if you like the old slr look.. but i have had the epl5 and its a great little camera.. you could wait a couple weeks when the epl7 is announced and see how much the price on the epl5 goes down. the key is glass..
  7. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    personally the EVF would win me over but at double the price I'd rather get the E-PL5 and then buy the 45mm f1.8 with the remaining money.
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree. If budget is tight go with cheaper body and allow yourself more funds for lenses.
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd go E-M10 over the E-PL5. I've owned both and I feel the E-M10 has given me more keepers. It's just a better handling camera. If it's too much, I'd go look for a slightly used or refurb'ed E-M5.
  10. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    I'd go for E-M10. EVF is the key. In the bright light you gonna miss it. I have VF-4 attached all the time on my E-P5. If you add VF for your shopping cart then the price advantage for PL body is not so obvious anymore.

And on the other hand, kit zoom is ok, but Oly primes are sweet. So if budget is tight and you are ready to live without EVF then save money for glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  11. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    As others have said it really depends on your own needs and requirements.

For example if you intend to shoot macro then the Wi Fi remote viewing and release functions of the EM10 would be a benefit ( much as I love my EM-5 having to plug in a wired remote and getting into small spaces without disturbing the subject etc can be a real pain).

My daughter spent her early photography years using her iPhone and cannot get used to using a viewfinder (she has an EPL-3) but after 30 years of film SLR's I cannot manage without one.

It can also depend on what your longer term thoughts are on photography.

Many people on this forum have multiple bodies (even systems) and consider them almost as "disposable" items to be changed as newer technology is released and will concentrate on the lenses.

Others will consider the camera is likely to be the only camera purchased for sometime and will go for the best body they can afford.

If the camera is only to "try" m4/3 then the EPL-5 (or G5 if you need a viewfinder) is a very good idea.

If you intend to eventually have multiple bodies again the EPL-5 is a good starting point and as it takes the same batteries as the EM10 would make a good backup body for an EM10.

If you only intend to have one camera and use it for some time, or can see the features of the OM10 giving you an advantage then spend a bit more and accept that, like cars, the body will depreciate in value.

Many years ago my late father gave me some advice which has served me well over the years on hobby items which was "Work out the maximum you can afford to spend on something and then spend 10% more. The struggle you make to buy it will make you appreciate it more!"

Yep ... Still got my OM1n bought after that bit of advice.

Buying either of the cameras will not be a wrong decision as both are capable of stunning photographs (you only have to look at some of the work of forum members to see this) but which one "feels right" in your hands only you can tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43
  12. iliyanb

iliyanb Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2013
    My advice is to just go lighter with your first body and keep some money for good glass.

Sent from my ME371MG using Mu-43 mobile app
  13. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    My advice is to buy the camera that you REALLY wants from the very beginning. I did the mistake to buy a pen just to sell and later on buy om-d. I love the feeling of being 100% satisfied with the things I buy. Then you can always find a way to sell things at home and buy a used pancake later on. So my advice is, go with an mint condition used em5:)

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43
    • Like Like x 1
  14. karma

karma Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I recommend approaching the purchase of m43 bodies like you would with cars. Buying new or the latest generation is always expensive, and you will likely take a big depreciation hit. m43 bodies typically have their prices slashed within a year or two of their release to make way for the next iteration.

I typically like to buy a body that's a generation behind because they're the best values. For example, I bought the G3 when they were being cleared out near the end of 2012, and I just upgraded to a G5 this month. Each body cost less than half of its introductory price, and it only meant about a year's wait.

Lenses, otoh, typically retain their value. I bought a Panasonic 20/1.7 at the same time as the G3. I sold the that lens earlier this year, and the net loss on it was only $30. I basically see that as a $30 rental fee for 1.5 years of use.

However, in the end, you should go with a body that you'll be happy using, whether that be the E-PL5 or the E-M10. Just remember that bodies come and go, but glass lasts forever. :wink:
  15. pepinto_

pepinto_ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Hello all!

First of all, thank you for your valuable advices.

Regarding the glass, let me tell you that I already started my M43 kit two months ago. I found a mint Panasonic 14mm f2.5 for 100 euros and bought it immediately (I like the 28mm focal length, and a brief review of my pictures taken with the S95 confirms it).

Buying the E-Pl5 or the E-M10 has its pros and cons, but my intention
    is to sell the kit lens (100-120€ seems a fair price), and reserve that money to help buying a new lens (maybe the Olympus 25mm or the 45mm).

When you say that the value of the bodies depreciates quite a bit after one year or so, it is entirely truth, and if I think rationally probably I will choose the E-PL5.

But by the other side , I'm also a person that when buys something, is something to be used for a long time (while I am satisfied with it). I never renew my gear every new generation (for instance, my iPhone 4 was used during three years before replacement).

So the best option may be the E-M10 because it's the camera that I really want from the beggining (fransglans advice). Maybe if I choose the E-PL5 I will think:

Oh no ... this screen is so small and 16:9
    Oh no ... if I'd bought the E-M10 I had a EVF and a 3:2 screen and Wifi, and remote shutter, and integrated flash, and a better IBIS, and better handling...

16. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    I have had just about every Oly body since m4/3 started. Of all of them, the E-PL5 was the most impressive out of the box. Mostly because I expected the least of it. The OM-D E-M1 was everything I'd hoped, but I expected a lot. E-P5 was a nice evolution from my beloved E-P3. But the E-PL5 was bought just for my pano head... until it arrived. I LOVE that little camera! SO much packed into such a tiny body.

But I have a VF-4 already, and the kit pieces I want, and 5 other bodies. I'm not sure I could live with only one body, and it NOT having an EVF of some sort.
  17. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I've had an E-PL5 for over a year and hardly ever use it. The 16:9 screen gives a very small image when shooting stills. The controls are pure fiddly, indirect, P&S camera, but smaller and don't have the same good tactile of the S95. Sure, the IQ is on par with the OM-D's but it's just annoying to use.

A used or refurbished E-M5 is cheaper than a E-M10, but if you shoot JPGs the newer image processing hardware in the E-M10 is worth every penny.
  18. pepinto_

pepinto_ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2013
    Yes, in terms of direct controls, the E-PL5 is worse than the S95.
    My objective is to shoot entirely in JPEG.

I think my decision is pointing towards the E - M10...
  19. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Go with E-M10, it's a no compromise camera. I owned E-PL5 before. I'm getting better pics w/E-M10 and it's more fun to use for sure. This is because of EVF and very effective IBIS especially with PL25. Additional features that I enjoy: auto HDR and wi-fi - both for quick image transfer and remote shutter.
    What makes it more joy for me to use is:
    - built-in EVF
    - built-in flash
    - much higher resolution LCD (bigger too)
    - Dual dial control
    - high end premium all metal build (it's gorgeous in silver)

I use E-PM2 as a second body when traveling, both share same batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43
  20. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I can tell you that the difference between the s95 and the EPL5 will be enormous. I know - I've done it. Bearing in mind the op is price conscious, I'd say you can buy the EPL5 (same sensor as OMD) with confidence. Especially as it's going to be cheaper with the epl7 coming out soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk