1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Happy mistake?

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Spaceghost33, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Trying out the Zuiko 50mm f1.4 over the weekend on the GF1. Yeah, I totally blew the focus, but somehow it works. At least for me. JPEG out of camera. No post-processing. Not sure where the "soft focus" came from. C&C always welcome.

5665276794_1bfb818f90_b.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

to be honest I think that it is a great photo and so relaxed...soft works well sometimes.

3. Spaceghost33

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Thanks Bill. The soft does work in this case, just not sure how I achieved it. I didn't use the "soft" feature on the GF1. Just standard. I may have had the WB on cloudy, but I can't remember for sure. He was relaxed as he was playing with one of his Star Wars toys on our bed. Toy was cropped out. :)

4. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I'm no expert, but is it possible the soft focus comes from a wide aperture combined with a focus point slightly short of his face? To me it looks like the shirt on/under the right shoulder "foreground" is a bit more in focus.

Overall, a nice shot with the softness (however it happened)!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Spaceghost33

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    That just might be it!

After looking again, fin, I think you might be right.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think the softness works here.

7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve

That's how I'd read it, too.

I'd save an exact copy and apply a VERY little sharpening to his eyes, just to see how it looked, but this so perfect as is, that I'd do that only as an experiment to satisfy my in-focus-jones.

8. luguidomanski

luguidomanski Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2010
    Curitiba, Brazil
    Luiz
    Looks like one of those wedding pics of the 70's. Love the result!