"Happy Australia Day!" (To All The Folks From Down Under)

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by RT_Panther, Jan 26, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    :clap2::clap2::clap2:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks! It has been incredibly wet here in Qld, we are still in the grips of ex tropical cyclone Oswald. My family decided to go to Bargara Beach this weekend for the long weekend. The town was hit by a tornado yesterday, fortunately they are safe but they are without power and communication and cut off by flood waters.
    Here at home it is pouring rain and the wind would blow a dog off a chain!

3. Indeed, not quite you quintessential Australia Day weather for some parts of the country.

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    +1

5. EasyEd

EasyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey All,

My contribution to Australia Day by one of my very favorite bands - Sophie and Celeste...

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPjEY2vwtnI]Sunny Cowgirls[/ame]

-Ed-

• Like Like x 1
  6. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    It seems as if the last 2 years it's been drizzle one day. Overcast the next down Sydney/Illawarra way. What happened to our endless blue skies? :frown:

7. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Those endless blue skies always ended at the horizon, or at sundown if not a bit closer or sooner. The endings have just gotten closer and sooner.

Here in Brisbane we currently seem to have endless cloudy skies, at least for the past few days.

I also have to admit that I seem to have seen a lot more impressive cloud scenes and a lot fewer days without cloud over the past 2 years. Also a lot more extreme weather than in the years before that.

8. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Well it's overcast and calm in Melbourne, but our thoughts are with those in the Queensland and New South Wales coastal region with storms and floodwaters devastating their homes and livelihoods. No quite the "Australia Day" we are celebrating here.
    Cheers and good luck,
    DUD

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    +2!!!!

Regards,

Jim

10. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    The rain has been none stop here today. My swimming pool has gone up 2 inches
    since last night. !

11. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    We got 156mm at the Archerfield observation point near me in Brisbane between 9.00 am yesterday and 9.00 am today. It slowed down this morning and I've actually seen what I think may be some sunshine this afternoon. It's a little hard to tell, it's been a while since I've seen sunshine and my memory isn't that good :)

It has been wet and windy. The noise of wind gusting actually woke me this morning. It was louder than the rain and the rain has been loud at times.

12. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Over 200k properties without power atm :(

13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks for the well wishes.

I do feel for them in Queensland & also with family members up there too. They've sent their rain down here to us (don't blame them). So far today we've had 109mm (with an hour to go), but I believe some parts of Queensland had up to 800mm over a short peroid of time (not sure on what time base that was & might be for this month).

EDIT: Update for rainfall; we had 122.8mm for the 24 hours of Monday (about 5 inches).

And don't forget the fires in north Victoria! It is rather ironic with floods & tornados to the north & fires to the south.

14. sabrelli

sabrelli Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 4, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    The rain has seemed to picked up in the last 10minutes!

Really feel for them ppl up in QLD....

15. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

hang tough all of you in Qld, send some rain over this way...

my first attempt at fireworks pics EM5 + 45mm

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1