1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Happy as a G2 owning clam

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dixeyk, May 14, 2011.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I took my G2 to the Star Wars exhibit at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle and armed with just the 14-45 kit and the 20 I was able to get quite a few great shots. The flip out LCD was great (although turn off the eye sensor if you're going to use it a lot because if you hold the camera at waist level it thinks your belly is your head and flips off the LCD). I think it's a terrific camera. The IQ is terrific, the handling is superb and I am surprised it isn't more widely loved. What has surprised me most however is that I am finding the G2 to be my favorite body for legacy glass. It may not have IBIS but it makes my Olympus Pen 40/1.4 a lot of fun to use again.

My favorite of the Star Wars exhibit (with some help from Silver EFX) and the Panasonic 20.

[​IMG]

I have read much about how much better the Olympus IQ is vs the Panasonic G1/G2 (especially in JPEG mode). Personally I think the differences are overblown. I have an E-P1 (and an E-PL1 before that) and if you pixel peep the Olympus images are a bit less noisy but it is very VERY close, but...if you print them as I do you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. Also, the noise in Panasonic images cleans up extraordinarily well in Lightroom 3.

• Like Like x 6
  2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    The Force Moves Me

Thanks for your post. I am the happy owner of an E-P1 and E-PL1, and a big Star Wars fan to boot. I have been looking at the GH-1 since my wife had me test one she bought for her brother off eBay. I loved the ergonomics and built in EVF, and it feels far less clunky than the PL1 with VF2. I was about to buy a GH1 until I saw a post elsewhere on the forum warning about AF compatibility issues with Zuiko :43:And 4/3 lenses. Reviews of the G 2 have made me warm up to the camera; your post has tipped me over. If it's good enough for Yoda (and a fellow Oly user), it's good enough for me. Good deals as well on Amazon.....

3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Another happy G2 owner here! It's become my outdoor workhorse with 14-140mm attached, chasing our grandkids around as they explore their new lives. I still use a GF1 with 20mm for indoor shots, but the G2 is getting the bulk of the action.

(p.s. I used to live in Clark, the next town over from you. Westfield is beautiful!)

• Like Like x 1
  4. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    g2

Chuck, thanks. How is the AF on the G2 for running grandkids? And do you use video mode? I'm debating again whether to buy a used G1 instead of the G2 and used the difference in price to buy another lens.

We love the Clark library; DVD selection is great!

5. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Kind of a mixed bag on catching them in motion. Good news is that burst mode works very well; bad news is that once you've taken a burst, you have to wait a while for the buffer to unload to the card. of course, during that delay, the really cute stuff happens...:eek:

Haven't done much with movie mode, but it certainly is easy to activate. Image quality is very good, though. Worth having IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    One More Question

One other question. What is the quality of the G2 EVF in low light---does the image quality suffer drastically? I have a VF-2 for my Oly E-PL1 and am very happy with how it performs in low light. Thanks.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have had both and I'd say they are very VERY similar. I think the G2 EVF has a bit more tearing in low light but if I recall the VF2 correctly the EVF on the G2 is a bit more detailed in low light so it evens out. FWIW, I have never once missed the VF2.

• Like Like x 1