1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hands on the new EP5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Iansky, May 28, 2013.

1. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    For those who may be interested, there is a great video taken by Damian McGillicuddy of him unboxing a pre production/test EP5, link below:

Blog — Damian McGillicuddy

Check his blog with this title and you can watch the video.

I thought his comments at the end were interesting and in line with much speculation about Olympus launching a new camera later this year - being selfish, I am hoping it may be an OMD mk2 with new sensor / PDAF / 1/8000 shutter / 1/500 flash sync and AF-Tracking that works as well as 100 ISO base level (I would be happy to sacrifice 25,600 for lower base).

I hope that this year will prove another evolving / innovative one for Mu43 and that we will see the bar raised even more and the gap between Mu43 / APS-C and even full frame closing even more!

2. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I agree with all that :D

better AF-C and better AF point size would make me upgrade for sure :D

I just watched the video and I like the look of the PEN, love the placement of the two dials and the programmable record button. I wouldn't complain at all if the new OM-D will have similar lay out with more buttons :D

3. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I believe that ISO 100 is not native to the sensor.

Similarly, ISO 25,600 is not native either - it's simply pushed in-camera from 3200 (which is the highest native ISO on the EM-5.)

4. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    The E-P5 is one sexy piece of kit :)
    Thanks for the link.

5. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Not much new info there...

The video didn't really offer anything we haven't already known. I found it interesting that the guy speaking needed to point out during the video as he put the 17mm f1.8 lens on the camera "You can tell I'm a pro because..." If someone is a "pro", it is not necessary for you to make your audience aware of that unless you are promoting yourself for a potential project for hire. If you are truly a pro, people will figure that out based on the value seen in what you can demonstrate in practical terms. This guy may be a pro. I just don't understand why he felt the need to make sure he told us that?

The images he posted were not helpful in practical terms. A few model photos that were supposed to demonstrate what?

I do appreciate links to information that may be helpful in discovery about new products. I just didn't see any "substance" in this particular guy's blog or video.

I will be buying an E-P5. I do think it is another good step in the evolution of the Pen model series.
    Dan

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Dan,

The gent in question is not only a Pro, he is also a very well known fashion photographer in the UK who has recently become an Olympus Ambassador, he is not by any means arrogant in fact just the opposite and he runs some great workshops on lighting etc.

Perhaps you misconstrued his comment ( I think he was referring more to the fact that his lens had a shade already fitted and had no fron/rear cover on it a common pro trait to save time that I also employed when working as a PJ years ago).

I would encourage you to have a look at his blogsite and other posts (click older tab under previous article image on his site) you will see other videos of shoots etc and examples of his work shot with an OMD.

7. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Not questioning his credentials...

Hi Ian,
    I am not suggesting that he is not a good photographer or even a pro. He may do wonderful workshops. He may be a fabulous model photographer. It just seemed odd that he felt the need to point out based on his lens hood comment that one could tell he was a pro.
    My point is that the blog and video didn't offer us anything new about the E-P5. Perhaps based on his Olympus ambassador role, this is something Olympus asked him to do. I was hoping for more useful content and was disappointed.

I am not disparaging his character or his capabilities as a photographer. He is probably a nice guy.

Dan

8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I hope Olympus makes some cheaper models withbuilt in VF like Panasonic G line.
    I would be shocked if it actually happened though.

9. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    His statement seemed totally tongue-in-cheek. I think he said you could tell he was a pro because the lens had no back cap on it. It would have been totally different if he had said he was a pro because he had a premium B+W UV filter coated with ground unicorn horn dust.

10. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    That makes more sense. He did seem like a likable guy.
    Dan

11. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    Damian is a very genuine guy, having attended one of his workshops around 18 months ago in Manchester not only is he a multiple award winner he is one of the most down to earth guys you could meet and a great teacher
    I have been on several lighting workshops and his was the best by far, he is pretty much old School as everything was shot on manual, flash, Camera, he even used a light meter as opposed to LCD/histogram.

Phil

12. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    An E-PL5 with a secondhand VF-2 is not too expensive, surely?

13. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    That's how I heard his statement. :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!