1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hands-On: At The U.S. Open With The Olympus E-PM1

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by John M Flores, Sep 1, 2011.

1. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    here's 2 observations on that article.....why have a photo novice review a camera....even one that's aimed partially toward photo novices. Clearly someone that is experienced with cameras would be better suited to the job. The state of journalism is really slipping. Would they ask someone with no musical experience to review a symphony performance? Outrageous.

Also, unless I'm missing something, a camera review (especially in the internet!) with NO photos really seems more than odd.

I give this one 2 thumbs down!

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It is nice to see some PR/press on Olympus... It has been said around here before, but think it would be helpful to see some marketing on the m4/3 standard.

Speaking of non-camera-experienced writers trying to tackle camera reviews, did you see the Engadget E-P3 review? I love that blog, but I die a little inside every time they try a serious camera review.

Olympus PEN E-P3 Micro Four Thirds camera review -- Engadget

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I usually agree with your sentiment that "tech guys" don't usually know enough about photography to be good camera reviewers, but I just read that review and it all seemed fair and clear to me. E-P3 is a luxury item at that price point and performance-wise it lags behind most DSLRs (don't compare this viewfinder-less $900 camera to entry level Canons and Nikons).

I still would rather have one for the looks and size, but there are still concessions.

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I don't knock him for saying it is overpriced, a luxury item, or that better IQ can be had for the price. I just get annoyed when it is clear that they do not seem to have spent much time with the camera or understand the market much at all. For example, quotes from the review:

"the only meaningful size savings associated with a Micro Four Thirds rig is in the body itself."

"...lenses -- objects that make this guy far less portable from a holistic viewpoint"

"12mm wide-angle pancake"

"We also aren't the hugest fans of the iconic "Olympus" color results -- it's not exactly saturated, but it has this unmistakable "digitized" look that is notably absent in any mid-range DSLR on the market." [guessing he didn't look at NR settings]

"The built-in ART and SCENE filters are clever, and most 'em do more good than harm, but we'd recommend steering clear for anyone that owns Photoshop and / or Lightroom. You're just better off capturing a "standard" image, and then adding the desired effects afterwards. If you embed the effect in the camera, there's no "standard" image to revert back to."