Handling of Oly 12-60 f2.8-4 + adapter on m4/3 body

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Phoque, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I've just ordered that and was wondering how the big lens handled on the small body.

Anybody can comment from experience?

Thanks.

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    On what body?

It's 110mm long with the adapter, and weighs 600g. On the E-PM1, it's quite large, though it can be used albeit with some awkwardness. On the GH2, it's still sizable but somewhat more manageable.

The bigger question is whether you'll be okay with the loud and slow AF. 2-3 seconds and it makes a fair bit of noise acquiring focus.

On the plus side, it's very sharp, has low CA and can focus impressively close. I sold mine and wound up picking up another some months back as I missed the sharpness. Compared to it, none of the m4/3 zooms look particularly good.

DH

3. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    OM-D EM-5

4. RussellOlaguer

RussellOlaguer Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2012
    Paranaque, Philippines
    Russell Olaguer
    Maybe it will be look like this...

6909716557_2f7fd4902a_z_d.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The E-M5 is about the same size as the GH2 (slightly smaller actually). Should be okay. Just don't expect to shoot it one-handed as some people (foolishly IMO) do with small lenses and cameras.

That said, for the E-M5, I think the 14-54II is probably more appropriate, even though it's optically not as good, especially at the wide end.

DH

6. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I hesitated between the two and finally opted for the 12-60 for the wider end and better quality.

To take around, I'll probably buy the pana 14mm. I'd like to get the oly 12, but I find it too expensive.

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't imagine you'll have any problems with this combinations. The lens is a good fit on PENs, so it'll definitely be a good fit on the OM-D. It's the lens that gets your weight support, not the body.

8. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Fair enough. You certainly won't be disappointed on that account.

You and me both. And here's the thing - the 12-60 is a good bit sharper at 12mm. The 12/2 may look pretty but IQ-wise it's nothing special.

Enjoy,

DH

9. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    look forward to seeing 4/3 lens pictures!

10. EFMax

EFMax Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012
    I must admit, the first thing I did was to sell my stock lens and then hunt around for a 12-60.. got a better than better deal in London and have not looked back. I am old school, so heavy lens, one handed operation is a breeze to me and this lens is great.

As I was new to PEN cameras, so the weight was not an issue to me.

I think everyone else has already spoken about the clarity, which is really good. I find the auto-focusing a real pain, but I just set it on manual and I am happy with that.

I would be interested to see what a micro 4/3 version would be like, but for me it makes the camera looks more like a proper camera.

11. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    The long pre-ordering process gave me much time to ponder. I'm choking right now. After seeing pictures of the OM-D with 12-50, I feel it might be too big/cumbersome and/or intimidating.

I think I'll switch my order again (2nd time) for body only + FL-300 flash and Pany 14mm.

Also, I'm suspecting Oly is dropping four thirds and will concentrate its future on micro 4/3. Third parties have started making lens for micro 4/3. For me, these eventually mean upcoming native high grade lenses for micro 4/3. So I'll wait for the next sealed high grade native zoom to come (I give it 2 years to come!).

With the money difference left, I might grab the Oly 45mm too. The Oly 12mm is not worth the money at this point for me. At 500$ though, I'd readily buy one.

Depending on the price, the upcoming Oly 75mm might complete my initial kit.

12. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The 12-50 or the 12-60?

If you're okay with a more limited range (12-35), you should be set well before the end of this year - Panasonic's 12-35/2.8 is supposed to be part of their high grade lineup (should be sealed too).

The dilemma is harder if you already have 4/3 lenses.

DH

13. Phoque

Phoque Mu-43 Regular

Sep 18, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Actually, both, but especially what I had ordered: the 12-60 + mmf-3.

I don't have any 4/3 lenses.

14. shepfoto

shepfoto New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2012
    Northern Utah
    I use the 12-60mm f/2.8-4 lens on my E-M5. I wrote some impressions about it on my ShepFoto blog. Here is a photo of the camera/adapter/lens combo. Big lens, small camera. Feels like using an Olympus OM-2 with a 200mm telephoto. But the focal length, speed and especially the IQ make it a joy to use.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: