Handheld post focus with G80

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by davidedric, Aug 12, 2017.

1. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    tripod 3.
    handheld.

I recently took delivery of a G80 (already have a G7) so thought I'd run through the post focus / focus stacking capabilities.

Here are a couple of examples. Nothing remarkable as photographs, but whereas the first was shot from a tripod, the second was handheld- really didn't expect to get anything this decent.

Lens is Panasonic 12-35mm, wide open (just to make it difficult). Video rendered in Photoshop, selected frames stacked in Helicon Focus, and just spruced up a bit in Lightroom.

Dave

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Being new to this G80 post focus thing, I know how to do it in camera, how do you do it in Photoshop to render the individual frames for stacking in Helicon Focus.

Thanks

Paul

3. davidedric

davidedric Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2013
    Cheshire, UK
    Dave
    It's absurdly simple. Open the video in Photoshop (I have CC). You need to have the timeline showing, but I can't remember whether this happens automatically. Then in the bottom left hand corner just below the words Audio Track there is a single arrow pointing up and to the right. Clicking on this opens the rendering dialogue, and away you go. I then use FastStone to select the actual frames I want to stack, and drag them into Helicon Focus.

Dave

4. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Thanks

Will give that a go

5. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking Subscribing Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    I just got a G80 and thought I would give the post focus a try, this one is shot with the 12-35 f2.8 set at f4.0. It was done in camera but is very impressive.

36868328771_7bf17ab162_h. post focus test by Harry Cutts, on Flickr

• Like Like x 5
    • Wow Wow x 1