Handheld panning on OMD EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by spacecreature, Dec 29, 2012.

1. spacecreature

spacecreature Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2012
    Hi guys,

I noticed when shooting video handheld on my OMD with the IBIS enabled IS1, that although static shots look really good as if on a tripod , as soon as i do a little bit of panning I get some weird and awful jerky effects. Like sudden shifts or movements.. I'm not sure if I should be using IS2 but usually u start off with a steady shot before you move to panning, so if I go with Is2 the first part of the shot will look wiggly..Anyway was wondering what others were doing..If I pan VERY slowly and Im zoomed in at my subject (I think) I generally manage to get decent footage...

So what are u guys doing for such cases? And should I be moving the cam sideways only (sliding) or can I rotate the camera standing in one place?

I know the IBIS doesn't work for crazy shakes , but my problem is the sudden shifts I am getting coz generally the image is very steady overall but like I mentioned it is ruined by those weird shifts...
  2. vchaney

vchaney Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2010
    The best answer is a tripod and fluid head with IS off. That way you're not reliant on the camera guessing what you want it to do.

Not ideal for travelling light, but definitely better footage.

You could also look at one of the steadicam solutions but these are pretty expensive...
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    IS1 steadies the camera for all directions of camera movement. For horizontal panning IS2 is used. For vertical movement IS3.
  4. spacecreature

Dec 7, 2012
    I'll experiment with Is2 I guess..
  5. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Yes, when IBIS is trying to stabilize on that axis, well, it's gonna try to stabilize on that axis!
  6. spacecreature

Dec 7, 2012
    Oups sorry hehe..I think it's from quicktime player! When I open the video in VLC it is much smoother :) quicktime looks as if it is eating up some frames and it is giving those weird shifts...