Handheld Night Photography - Columbus

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Jman, May 9, 2012.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Went out handheld night shooting again. Man, I LOVE the IS in the E-M5.

With Oly 12/2:

I'm not usually one for built in camera 'art filters' or shooting JPEG, but the ones on the E-M5 are actually pretty good. I was trying them out a bit tonight so I could talk about them in my upcoming review, and I was shocked that I really liked the soft focus art filter for night shots. Here's an example:

And an example with the 'grainy B&W setting':

These two are with the Leica 25/1.4. The first shot really shows what the right camera can let you do. I had to shoot with the camera over my head to get the perspective I needed, as the statue begins about 8 feet above the ground (on a pedestal), so I had to use the tilt screen down to frame the shot. Then, the IS allowed me to only us ISO 800 for the shot. This is ISO 800, f/1.4, 1/6sec! I used Lightroom's white balance brush capability to change the WB of the statue (that was lit by high pressure sodium lamps), but leave the WB on the statehouse as is.

• Like Like x 6
  2. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    These are amazing. I love that 12mm, but I never tried using the soft focus filter on night buildings. Sounds like I've got some experimentin' to do...
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Wow 1/6th of a second. Want..
  4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Did you use a shift lens on that first shot?

EDIT: Never mind...I see you used the 12/2. The buildings just seem a bit more vertical than I would expect.
  5. mono55

mono55 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    Very nice series indeed.

6. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    The first is a powerful composition with an amazing value range. Great choice for B+W. Thanks for sharing.