1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Handheld Night Photography - Columbus

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Jman, May 9, 2012.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Went out handheld night shooting again. Man, I LOVE the IS in the E-M5.

With Oly 12/2:
    cbus_night.

I'm not usually one for built in camera 'art filters' or shooting JPEG, but the ones on the E-M5 are actually pretty good. I was trying them out a bit tonight so I could talk about them in my upcoming review, and I was shocked that I really liked the soft focus art filter for night shots. Here's an example:
    huntington_night.

And an example with the 'grainy B&W setting':
    night_shadows.

These two are with the Leica 25/1.4. The first shot really shows what the right camera can let you do. I had to shoot with the camera over my head to get the perspective I needed, as the statue begins about 8 feet above the ground (on a pedestal), so I had to use the tilt screen down to frame the shot. Then, the IS allowed me to only us ISO 800 for the shot. This is ISO 800, f/1.4, 1/6sec! I used Lightroom's white balance brush capability to change the WB of the statue (that was lit by high pressure sodium lamps), but leave the WB on the statehouse as is.
    mckinley_night.

statehouse_flags.

• Like Like x 6
  2. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    These are amazing. I love that 12mm, but I never tried using the soft focus filter on night buildings. Sounds like I've got some experimentin' to do...

3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Wow 1/6th of a second. Want..

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Did you use a shift lens on that first shot?

EDIT: Never mind...I see you used the 12/2. The buildings just seem a bit more vertical than I would expect.

5. mono55

mono55 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    Very nice series indeed.

Kat

6. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    The first is a powerful composition with an amazing value range. Great choice for B+W. Thanks for sharing.