Handheld fireworks?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jerrykur, Dec 31, 2012.

1. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    I am going too fireworks show tonight and wondering whether to bring my omd. I will be unable to take a tripod which I usually use. Is the ibis good enough for 2 sec exposures?

2. Salt Peanuts

Salt Peanuts Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Haj
    I was able to get few decent shots during fireworks over the summer handholding EM-5 for 2 sec exposures (w/ PL25), and I'm awful at hand holding. The shots weren't tack sharp by any means, but perfectly usable.

3. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
  4. justin4192

justin4192 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    You can still get some good photos of fireworks with handheld shutter speeds. I took some photos while on a boat viewing fireworks being launched on the water. The boat wasn't perfectly still, so a tripod wouldn't have helped anyways. I was using my old E-3 at the time which doesn't have great high ISO ability and the photos still came out well, not large print worthy, but for snapshots/memories good enough. I put the camera on manual mode, largest possible aperture, and played with what shutter speed and ISO combo gave me the best exposure. My photos varied from 1/20-1/40 second and 1600 ISO. Don't forget, shooting in RAW will give you more to play with in post processing too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.