Handheld fireworks?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jerrykur, Dec 31, 2012.

1. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    I am going too fireworks show tonight and wondering whether to bring my omd. I will be unable to take a tripod which I usually use. Is the ibis good enough for 2 sec exposures?
  2. Salt Peanuts

Salt Peanuts Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    I was able to get few decent shots during fireworks over the summer handholding EM-5 for 2 sec exposures (w/ PL25), and I'm awful at hand holding. The shots weren't tack sharp by any means, but perfectly usable.
  3. majordude

majordude Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
  4. justin4192

justin4192 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    You can still get some good photos of fireworks with handheld shutter speeds. I took some photos while on a boat viewing fireworks being launched on the water. The boat wasn't perfectly still, so a tripod wouldn't have helped anyways. I was using my old E-3 at the time which doesn't have great high ISO ability and the photos still came out well, not large print worthy, but for snapshots/memories good enough. I put the camera on manual mode, largest possible aperture, and played with what shutter speed and ISO combo gave me the best exposure. My photos varied from 1/20-1/40 second and 1600 ISO. Don't forget, shooting in RAW will give you more to play with in post processing too.