Hand strap for GF3/14?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by gsk3, Feb 16, 2012.

1. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    I'm trying to stay on the micro side of the spectrum with my camera, and I'm having trouble finding a suitably small hand strap for it. Most of the ones off eBay look either *huge* or like crap. I'd be fine with something made out of 3-4mm cord. Any suggestions?

2. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I use the hand strap from a Nintendo Wii controller. It works great and happened to be laying around. :)

Greg.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Two I would recommend for m4/3:

If you like maybe more traditional/old school:
    gordy's camera straps
    (different sizes, different mount options)

If you want something more techie:
    OP/TECH USA Cam Strap - QD
    uses a small connector compatible with some of their other neck straps

I have the OP on my GXR and my E-P3 has a Gordy.

4. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Gordy's is excellent. It is a quality strap once it wears in.

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I have both straps that Kyle mentioned (Gordy's and Op/Tech). Gordy's is smaller and has more style! The other one is good but in the summer the neoprene traps the sweat around your wrist somewhat.

6. capodave

capodave Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 4, 2010
    Southern Cal
    Dave
    If you get a Gordys order an extra rubber ring to keep the metal ring from rubbing the body.
    I have his on all my bodies

7. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    OK you've convinced me to give up my ghetto Wii strap and order from Gordy's. After looking at the gallery I got black with red cord.

8. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Wait, you almost had me convinced to buy a Wii, just for the wrist strap! :rofl:

9. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Send me your Wii strap! Haha.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into them.

10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I make my own handstraps. My favorite uses a camcorder strap which is the softest and most comfortable. However, it's kinda bulky so would not suit your requirements. I also make them using heavy duty nylon strapping however, and this is very light and compact. My straps fit along the knuckles to hold the strap tighter against the camera (a hand-strap rather than a wrist-strap), and I also sew in an additional quick-clip so you can also add a shoulder strap for holding the camera free (unlike a neck strap, this is meant to be worn over one shoulder and will hang your camera vertical) and I use an easy to release clip so you can take the strap on and off easily (or swap them out like I do, as mine also has an accessory pouch for VF-2 and EMA-1).

I'm actually thinking of making these for market... In fact, that idea just occurred to me yesterday, lol. I have enough prototypes floating around that I use for myself. :) These small-form system cameras are becoming more and more popular, and there aren't any straps out there which are dedicated to big-lens users like me who want to use the strap as more of a replacement for a grip, rather than just a secure tether.

I didn't know Gordy's had a rubber ring that can be used to cover the metal clip, but I should think of adding something like that to mine... I haven't had any scratching problems yet, but I could see the possibility.

11. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think this sounds like a cool concept, Ned!

What I would really like, is something that I can convert from wrist/hand strap to neck strap (or sling), depending on what I am doing. There are some options out there that were designed for DSLRs, but they seem way too big for my m4/3 setup.

I have thought about making something out of paracord and using OP/Tech's little connectors:

OP/TECH USA Mini QD Loop System Connectors

The size of the connectors is right, and I like the plastic so it won't scratch, but a little nervous that they are easy to pop open. They have velcro straps that can go over their larger connectors, so maybe something like that would work.

What are you using for connectors?

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I use very similar connectors to those. I've never had one balk at the weight of my PEN cameras yet, and I'm often carrying them with a flash bracket, FL-36R, sometimes an FL-50R, and lenses as large as the Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, or smaller lenses like the Zuiko 14-54mm or 25mm prime. In other words, a little more weight and bulk than the standard PEN user carries.

I do tend to have a hand near the camera though, and don't let it swing around when it's on the connector.

13. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I made a paracord wrist strap for my gf2
    6669557701_fde2a3b76b_b.

14. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    That looks awesome, Mark, kind of what I was visualized, but probably would have no hope actually putting together. :biggrin:

15. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think that last part is key... if I am using the hand strap, I am holding onto the camera also. I was just wondering if I did convert to the neck strap (bandolier style), would I be nervous with quick-release connectors. I thought that you could actually use two of them, mounted on the same lug, and then braid the paracord through both. Not too much extra bulk, given the small connector size, but would be a little insurance.

16. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    is that a shoe lace, flip?
    you must post the weaving pattern here :thumbup:

17. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    its gutted 550 paracord I purchased at the Navy Exchange. Its a pretty simple cobra weave pattern. I've made plenty of paracord bracelets, so I guess I had practice, but its not difficult to do. Instructables has a bunch of tutorials

• Like Like x 1
  18. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    i am looking for suitable crimps but they are hard to come-by in Malaysia.

19. flipGTO

flipGTO Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I didn't use any crimps at all. Tying the King Cobra Stitch

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    That's cool, Flip! I've always wondered how to do that kind of weave... my pocket/neck knife has one of those at the end of the handle... the handle has slots for 3 fingers, and the pinky holds onto the cobra weave cord. Never thought of doing something like that for a camera!