Hand strap for E-M5III - any suggestions?

guest35

New to Mu-43
I am looking for a hand/wrist strap for the E-M5 (mark III). The positioning of the mounting point for the strap on the E-M5III is not ideal for my grip, so I am looking for a small strap that goes well through my fingers when holding the camera. Of course it should be solid, stable and not too expensive. Any tips or recommendations?

guest35

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Last edited:

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I use the PD Leash. It detaches easily to interchange with a shoulder strap, or nothing.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
Looks good. Is the leather band elastic enough? Do you prefer the version with lug mount or with string?

Looks comfy. But the strap seems to be kind of bulky or clunky at the mount?
it's elastic like leather. They're a bit stiff at first but soften up over time like a baseball glove.

I use an RRS tripod plate on mine and it has a better attachment point for a wrist strap. I prefer the lug attachments and as an extra option, you can get titanium quick release gear.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I am looking for a hand/wrist strap for the E-M5 (mark III). The positioning of the mounting point for the strap on the E-M5III is not ideal for my grip, so I am looking for a small strap that goes well through my fingers when holding the camera. Of course it should be solid, stable and not too expensive. Any tips or recommendations?
Just make one, exactly what you want. For ideas: https://stormdrane.blogspot.com/, Tandy Leather, Seattle Fabrics, many others.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
Just make one, exactly what you want. For ideas: https://stormdrane.blogspot.com/, Tandy Leather, Seattle Fabrics, many others.
that implies having all the tools and supplies needed or available. Also takes time and you're unlikely to get it right the first time.

Alternatively, pay a craftsman who's been doing this for over 20 years and makes a great product.

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Another vote for Gordy.

I go back and forth with a finger loop, too:
IMG_20200706_113911_s.jpg

It's just gutted paracord tied off. (ignore the PD anchors... been meaning to take them off since I rarely ever go that route anymore)

I keep going back and forth because the finger loop is much quicker for me to use since I usually have the camera bagged when not actively using it. And I've had the Gordy for ages but still feels like I need to beat it up manually to break it in more, heh (I almost feel it should be thinner). But the Gordy is more secure feeling.

guest35

New to Mu-43
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for your posts. I will look for a Gordy strap. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a reseller in Germany and shipping costs are quite expensive.

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
Bit different use case, and I don’t have a picture at hand, but I added the Olympus grip to my em5-3. At first just for a larger lens , but it hasn’t come off since.

And as a wrist strap I have been using neopreen wrist straps for years. Just to be sure I don’t drop the cam. Neopreen is so soft, I don’t notice it.

maybe useful. If you google neopreen wrist straps you’ll find then everywhere.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I make my own with Paracord. I use 275, 325, or 425; I find 550 (what most use) too heavy and do you need 550 pounds of tensile strength?

https://www.paracordplanet.com/cord-comparison-chart/

I use this video and just adjust the tail for what ever length I want extra.

20200110_202929.jpg

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
that implies having all the tools and supplies needed or available. Also takes time and you're unlikely to get it right the first time.

Alternatively, pay a craftsman who's been doing this for over 20 years and makes a great product.
As you like. It is always somewhat amazing to me the number of people who prefer to remain helpless rather than developing, improving, and building on simple skills. Tools required for this project are probably already in hand. Supplies are a couple of mouse clicks away, and IMO getting exactly what you want is a good tradeoff for the learning. The photo of the leather strap you posted is prima facie evidence that making these things is not rocket science.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
As you like. It is always somewhat amazing to me the number of people who prefer to remain helpless rather than developing, improving, and building on simple skills. Tools required for this project are probably already in hand. Supplies are a couple of mouse clicks away, and IMO getting exactly what you want is a good tradeoff for the learning. The photo of the leather strap you posted is prima facie evidence that making these things is not rocket science.
lol @ "Helpless"?!?

No, leatherworking tools in my house, but I'm happy to do some construction. I don't mind paying a craftsman for their 10000+ hours of earned skill.

You got some nerve, bub.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom