Hand held 50 megapixel high res mode is ... possible

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jim_chung, Feb 26, 2017.

1. jim_chung

jim_chung Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2016
    Jim Chung
    Here's a shot I took at this year's Icefest in downtown Toronto. E-M1(II) with 40-150 f/2.8 PRO at 40mm, ISO 800, 1/1250th s. This was hand held, no tripod was used or harmed.

YorkvilleIceFest2017A.
    Feel free to pixel peep full sized image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4852049/YorkvilleIceFest2017A.jpg. In my profession, I can't afford to have the shakes.

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    Thanks for a very interesting image!
    PS, parts I like and parts I don't like much but it's still a great image none the less.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can see the sensor shift in the weird motion blur on the people in the background. Not sure this shot ends up being better because it's 50MP instead of 16.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

You've always got the 16MP single frame to pixel peep compare right?

5. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Thanks for the posting the full size image- it is amazing how good parts of it are where there was little subject movement.
    Wonder if you shoot at 1/8000 if it can suppress movement significantly better?

6. Rob E-W

Rob E-W Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2017
    Nottingham, UK
    Rob Edlin-White
    Looks to me like the people are moving. If it was sensor movement then the while image would be affected.

Remarkably steady hand holding.

7. jim_chung

jim_chung Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2016
    Jim Chung
    Yes, I'm aware that some people are not fond of the multiple exposure look but the intent of this post was to demonstrate that a hand held high resolution shot is possible since 99.99999% of the time you will not be carrying a tripod with you. And I think you can use the motion artefacts to good effect like turning those waterfalls into silky smooth ribbons without ND filters. An don't forget that the 50 MP shot comes in very handy if you want to enlarge the image to poster size, there will also be an absence of deBayer color errors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Wow, some of those folks must've been pretty cold to be shaking that much!

The final image makes for a very interesting photo.

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. NY Gadget Guy

NY Gadget Guy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 17, 2016
    The effect makes me think of Agent Smith taking over someone else's body in The Matrix. :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    It is possible if you don't mind images that look like they were taken with a slow shutter speed or from an unsteady camera. Not saying it is not interesting or not a good photograph, it's just not what I would call possible..........by possible I mean it looks like I took it with the new Canon 5D. By the way, I do have a tripod with me 99.99999% of the time or a simple walk to the Jeep will solve it when I don't.

• Wow Wow x 1
  11. jim_chung

jim_chung Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2016
    Jim Chung
    Phocal, are all your prodigious 2,700 posts as harsh as this one? Yes you are correct that my hand held high res shots doesn't quite duplicate the 50 MP image from a Canon 5DS because of the sensor motion artefacts. Yes, you are the rare individual who carries a tripod more often than not, or has one permanently ensconced in his car. I just hope you treat true newcomers to the m43 world and this forum with a more relaxed and welcoming attitude.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. greenboy

greenboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

I like it fine. Maybe that's coming from seeing lots of posted images on music-oriented forums where formalized approaches are no more important than the energies and textures expressed, and diversity of approaches are common. Many directors and cinematographers certainly don't have any problem in this regard either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Yes. Phocal is sometimes lacking in the social graces.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Some yes and others no.

Honestly, I don't look at someone's post count when I read a post or a reply. Just because it's your xxx number post or xx post or even your x post doesn't mean I should treat you any different in my reply or change how I post or how I write or anything about what I post for that matter.

Nobody ever said hand held high resolution was not possible..................if you are willing to settle for the consequences of doing so. Which is the same as trying to use it for moving things like water or in a strong breeze................... I can take handheld shots with a non stabilized 500mm lens, if I am willing to live with the consequences of doing so..............

Maybe, or maybe I just say what needs to be said even if people don't want to hear it. If you don't want to hear the truth from me then put me on ignore.............as has been suggested I do by the powers that be when people bother me.

Edit - FYI, my ignore list grows daily around here.

• Like Like x 2
  15. greenboy

greenboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Paint on with the light, @jim_chung@jim_chung -- if people never tried different things we'd never have diversity and expression would be throttled.

701006dc720821b1695e9668c90632ad.

• Like Like x 5
  16. jim_chung

jim_chung Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2016
    Jim Chung
    Phocal, I've been a health professional for over 25 years yet I often see patients who insist they know what's right, what the truth is. But I've learned never to dismiss it but to hear them out. They could be right after all. I wish I could be as confident as you are about my ability to know the truth. It would make sleeping a whole lot easier at night.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I always find it amusing when someone post a photograph to show something and then when someone does not agree with their assessment or the usability of the photograph they feel like they are personally attacked and get all defensive.

The photograph looks like it was taken with a slow shutter speed, plain and simple. It is interesting but it is also a consequence of using the high resolution feature with moving subjects and some from using it handheld. If you are fine with that then use it handheld with moving subjects and enjoy your photographs. I never said it was bad...........just pointed out the limitations of it and how it makes the photos look. I have taken plenty of slow shutter speeds shots to show movement like in your photograph, but I wanted that effect in the photograph and I would only do what you did if I wanted that effect. Otherwise I would just shot a regular photograph to get the effect I want. If I wanted photos of that resolution on a regular basis I would not rely on the gimmick Olympus added to a few cameras that has a lot of drawbacks and I would just get a different camera.

With that I will follow forum rule #4.................................

Peace out

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    @jim_chung@jim_chung I think that this image fits the monthly contest: MU-43 Monthly Photo Contest for February 2017 - Frozen - CLOSES Midnight 1st March which closes in a bit. I strongly encourage you to enter it.

Personally, I have 2 comments:
    1. It is a nice image which juxtaposes the "frozen" nature of the moose against people's movements. The same effect could have been achieved by a slow shutter speed (other than the extra resolution).
    2. I don't think that it is that handheld hi-res mode is not possible, it is that it puts a lot of demands on the photographer (steady hands) and the scene (no/little movement) which means that a lot of the images will gain little by going hi-res vs just shooting a single 16MP image.
    Just my 2c.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Not if you shoot a hi-res JPEG, which is the camera's default. Even if you are shooting raw 16 MP images, when you change to hi-res, it will take a JPEG by default. You have to delve in menus and change it to hi-res raw if you want that 16 MP .ORI file.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Even if this was on a tripod the people would have moved during the shot. The point was that you can handhold the hi rez mode as well as a tripod in some cases and it worked.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1