1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Halliburton? Pelican? Sterilite? How about all three?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by DHart, Aug 3, 2012.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I spend most of my time traveling. Much of that in a motorhome. I've devised a m4/3 camera gear storage system that allows easy use of a Pelican 1500 case, a Halliburton 103 case, and an inexpensive Sterilite Latch Box storage container.

The base element that easily moves from Sterilite to Pelican to Halliburton is a Pelican 1505 padded divider set (about $56 from B&H). This insert organizer comes as the internal divider set if you order a Pelican 1504 Case with Padded Dividers $139.28 from B&H.

As an "old-school" photographer, I also have an appreciation for the super fine-quality, aluminum, lightweight cases from Halliburton. These are expensive cases, for sure, but are still being made... and older ones can readily be found on eBay. (I bought two older ones on eBay recently.) A new 103 sells for about $350-385, but used versions on eBay sell for a fair bit less than that.

The 1505 padded divider set which fits in a Pelican 1500 case also fits in a Halliburton 103 camera case, as well as a Sterilite 1936 25 Qt. latch box.

While I'm at home, as well as traveling in the motorhome, I keep the 1505 divider set in the Sterilite 1936 latch box. This is the cheapest, easiest-to-access storage container for quick and easy access to the gear. And rolling down the highway, this inexpensive latch box stores everything with great protection against the nasty roads we encounter, on occasion, here in the USA. When I'm getting ready to go shooting ~with camera gear~ I just grab what I want from the Sterilite latchbox and put that in a shoulder camera bag.

Here's where it's stored while traveling, in an overhead bin in the motorhome.

P1050786.

P1050785.

P1050776.

P1050777.

P1050781.

When traveling in adverse conditions, this 1505 padded divider set

P1050782.

drops perfectly into a Pelican 1500 case, which is tough as nails and about as rugged as anyone will ever need.

Pelican1504.

When traveling under "non-duress" circumstances, where light-weight and durability is desired, and the Pelican case is overkill in both weight and bulk, the 1505 Pelican padded divider set drops into an aluminum Halliburton Silver Premiere 5" Attache case, with a little room to spare. (A Halliburton 103 6" camera case would also accept the Pelican 1505 insert.) Since I'm using the slimmer Attache case by Halliburton, there is a leather accordion organizer in the lid of the case, so I lay a sheet of black foam over the top of the padded divider set before closing the Halliburton Attache case. If using a Halliburton 103 Camera case, there will be a convoluted foam liner in the lid of the case already.

New Halliburtons are expensive cases, but I found both of mine for a small fraction of the new price, as very lightly-used cases, on eBay.

P1050788.

The Pelican 1505 padded divider set holds about three m4/3 camera bodies and about 12 lenses, but is totally re-configurable, as needed. (An advantage over pick-n-pluck foam liners.) In my case, as shown below,

P1050840.

• G5 body
    • E-M5 body
    • E-PL3 body
    • GH2 (not shown)

• Pany 14-45 w/hood attached
    • Pany 14
    • Pany 20/1.7
    • Oly 12
    • PL 25/1.4 w/hood attached
    • Oly 45/1.8 w/hood attached
    • Pany 12-35/2.8 w/hood attached
    • Pany 14-140 w/hood attached
    • Pany 7-14
    • Oly 9-18
    • Canon FD 50/1.4 w/hood attached

As you can see, I'm saving room for a 17/1.4! :wink:

I do have a G5 on order, but the Oly 14-42II R and Pany 14 will be on the way out, clearing some room. I also tend to carry at least one body and a lens or two in my day-bag all the time, leaving some more space in the 1505 for other gear. The legacy lenses I have that are not shown in this case are soon to be for sale.

• Like Like x 6
  2. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    That's a pretty sweet setup. Very well thought out and seems to work well as a result. Bravo!

• Like Like x 1
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    +1 :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    dedicated man, heh.

I'm short on a space so it all just goes into pelicans regardless =)

• Like Like x 1
  5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Excellent idea, having a divider-box that fits into several housings. So where would the 35-100 fit in? :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  6. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Enviable setup.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Nah, there's clearly room on the right side between the 14-42 and 14-45. The REAL question is where does the 75mm fit? I guess there's always one lens on the camera... :tongue:

• Like Like x 1
  8. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Thanks all for your comments. I do plan to get the 35-100 and the 75/1.8.

This is an ongoing changeling. Generally I do have one or two bodies and one or two lenses out of the tray at any one time. And I do plan to sell off the Oly 14-42IIR and the Pany 14. And the nifty FD fifty doesn't need to be a part of this kit either.

I expect that over time a lens or two may be swapped out for something else. I could go up in tray size to hold even more lenses and bodies, but I don't want to do that. I think three or four bodies and 14 lenses should be quite enough! :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    I thought the 7-14 was all one ever needed. Leaving the rest of that heavy glass at home would sure save on fuel consumption.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Haha.... :rofl: yes, sometimes I do feel that the 7-14 (permanently set on 7mm) is all I need! :wink:

It really amazes me, looking at this image, how much photographic firepower there is in such a very small and very lightweight 11.2" x 16.75" tray.

P1050840.

I'm thrilled to let go of my FF gear which, by comparison, feels absolutely HUGE and oppressive in weight. I would still shoot the 5DMkII with 70-200/2.8 L-IS if I were selling my portraits, but I'm done with that business now and perfectly content with m4/3 for everything else that I do. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I would love to be able to just buy those inserts locally.

12. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Not sure where you are, strang, but B&H can have the Pelican 1505 padded tray set to you a just a few days.

• Like Like x 1
  13. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Thanks. I may resort to that one of these days if my search run dry. I might be able to convince the fiance to sow a set for me.

14. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Also available via Amazon Prime as well, I checked earlier since this post had me thinking about a better lens storage system :smile:

15. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    BTW, if anyone is thinking of getting the padded divider tray set AND may want the Pelican 1500 down the road... it's less expensive to buy the Pelican WITH the 1505 insert in it (foregoing the pick-n-pluck foam option) than it is to buy the empty 1500 case and the padded divider set separately.

The Pelican 1500 with the 1505 padded divider set is sold as:

Pelican 1504 Case with Padded Dividers $139.28 from B&H

The Sterilite clear storage Latch Box is very inexpensive at Wal-Mart, etc.

The Halliburton 103 camera case, new, is around $385 with virgin foam inserts which you can remove to use the Pelican 15-5 padded divider tray. Used Haliburton 103 cases (and various size attache models) can be found on eBay.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    My Halliburton arrived from an eBay purchase. I really lucked out on finding this particular one, as it is Halliburton's top of the line attache case, the 5" Silver Premier Attache P5-SI.

The Pelican 1505 Tray measures 16.75 x 11.2 x 4.25 and the Halliburton Silver Premier Attache interior measures 18.00 x 13.0 x 5.00. This Halliburton attache model is, obviously, not designed as a camera case (those cases are empty on the inside except for the grey foam insert pieces.) So, I was unsure of whether the 5" interior space with leather lining and accordion storage in the lid would interfere with the Pelican padded divider tray, so was very relieved to find that the fit is perfect!

P1050801.

The fact that this much photography equipment can be packed away so conveniently in such a small attache case still boggles my mind. m4/3 is such an amazing system.
    P1050794.

P1050789.

The latches and lock controls on the Silver Premier Attache are much different than most other Halliburton models, as they are sleek, recessed, and hidden. It's a cool model design that I never knew existed until I saw the pics on eBay and noticed how different this model looks than all the other Halliburton cases I've seen over the years. This is definitely an older case, but is still like new, for the most part. Today, Halliburton still makes the 5" Silver Premier Attache - for a stunning $675.
    P1050791.

P1050793.

The outer edges of the Pelican 1505 divider tray just so happen to fit around the outer edges of the Halliburton lid - not up against the leather and suede accordion storage pockets. To create a snug, protective fit, I have a 1/2" thick sheet of grey foam that I lay over the tray before closing the lid of the case.
    P1050790.

P1050788.