1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Half million clicks.. 3.3K Images ..one camera ..one forum :)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, May 24, 2013.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Guys ..:smile:
    I has been over an year when we started this Olympus OMD image thread and I was shocked to see that thread has been viewed over half million times , it has more than 3300 images and its here on our forum . I dont think that we will find this kind of thread on any forum which got so much attention .This thread shows how capable MFT is and it was OMD which made MFT the most popular and many people switched over or added MFT as alternative system .MFT was declared as dead on arrival by some people but I am so glad that it survived and matured . In mirrorless world of photography the current generation of MFT cameras from Olympus and Panasonic are the GOLD STANDARDS for AF and live view . Hats off to guys at this wonderful forum and hats off to OLympus for bringing out such a game changing camera. If I have to write history of MFT , then Olympus OMD will be mentioned as a major milestone .
    Here is the thread worth having a look and enjoy wonderful images .
    Cheers
    Bhupinderhttps://www.mu-43.com/f42/olympus-om-d-e-m5-image-thread-22157/

Disclaimer - I am not really an Olympus fan. I just buy and sell cameras every now and then but OMD is special.

2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
  3. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

4. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Well said and I personally think we are at a new Milestone in MFT land.

The current top players from Olympus & Panasonic are very different animals than their predecessors of just a year ago and I think the pace is picking up as other "Big boys" are trying to compete from the fringes.

The arrangement between Olympus & Sony as well as contribution from Panasonic should deliver some innovative and market challenging changes in the next 12 months and I suspect we will see the current trend of more working pro's switching from large cameras to Mu43 for their pro work.

We know that in many situations, Mu43 can deliver results that are more than enough for magazine / advertising / display work across all genres except those requiring fast and capable AF tracking but, I suspect this will be addressed in the next generation of sensors with PDAF.

It is for me a rejuvination of my photographic enthusiasm being able to carry a camera that is small with a nice selection of quality lenses in a package half the size/weight of my previous DSLR kit and it can only get better!

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually, I've never looked at either of those two threads...I don't believe in looking at other peoples snapshots when I have no knowledge of their experience...I've seen too many poor images online that I avoid threads that are just images for the purpose of posting images.

As for the oter thread I only visit THIS forum here because my primary interest is in te E-M5 tech talk...all other topics I ignore. Why would someone care what a lens looks like on a camera (unless you are getting said lens; OK I did look at the official FourThirds site what my various 4/3 lenses would look like on the E-M5, but that was when the camera was just announced and not yet available to be seen in person).

For the record I also don't read the "Show us your E-M5"...once you've seen both the black and silver E-M5s (of which I have both) you've seen them all...what's the point, unless it's one that's been crushed by a car.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've never felt slighted as a MFT shooter. All the local photo groups that I belong to really could give a rats @rse about gear, their main concerns are subject & composition :smile: .

7. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    A good point...I remember a competition where a 3mp point and shoot camera beat out everything including top of the line dSLRs...it's the photographer, not the equipment.

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    This puzzles me. :confused: A good image is a good image, no matter the photographer's experience. There are plenty of poor photos done by experienced photographers and vise versa.

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    My first thought on reading the title of this thread: "Wow, someone's camera survived half a million shutter activations?!?"

My second thought: "Only 3,300 images from 500,000 clicks? That's a pretty horrific keeper percentage." :tongue:

10. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    In a forum situation, you don't know what you'll see until you open the thread, and 999 times out of 1000 it's an average shot that wasn't worth the time opening it, yet people still say "great shot" or "nice capture".

But if it's someone's work I know, say Howard Schatz, it's worth opening that thread and seeing what he has posted because I know his experience.

It's also about caring about your own photography rather than anyone elses...too many people here spend time in the forums staring at pictures rather than improving their own work. It's one thing to study how a photographer works to improve your own photography, it's totally another to stare at snapshots and just post "nice shot" when it's just average.

(added later) It's the lack of impact of an image, or wow factor that is missing from most people's images. Unless the forum is dedicated to higher-quality photography, you aren't going to find that in a camera focused forum in the majority of images posted there. For example check out the following image from 1x.com:
    http://1x.com/photo/147485/

11. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Mikefellh, now that you've sucked the life out of this thread, how about giving it a rest?

12. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    +1

13. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Why should every reply be of the same opinion...why can't I post an opposite opinion?

I'm not breaking any rules of the forum, not swearing, not trolling, and not telling anyone not to post here (unlike you).

14. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    +1. Just because you don't happen to share the opinions, that doesn't seem like any reason to try to muzzle the poster.

15. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Thailand
    No one is saying he cannot express an opinion. Express away, but if your opinion offends or comes across as egotistical and arrogant, be prepared to receive feedback you will not like. Just as people have the right to express an opinion, others have the right to respond. I did not like his opinion. I'm letting him know that which is my right. I think what probably irritated myself and Savas K was that he expressed his opinion twice. I did not like it the first time and even more so the second time.

16. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Don't sell short the images on that thread. I don't have an EM5 but I look periodically at that thread and there are a lot of nice images on there. I do understand about looking at what you are interested in though. On here, the other M43 forum and on flickr, I just pass by the photos of cameras - it holds no interest for me.

17. And here I was thinking that critically looking at images from other photographers was another way to improve my own work. Boy, it sure does suck to have been wrong all this time.

18. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    i'm sure there's been a lot of hits on these threads but don't be fooled with these numbers. web crawlers (aka search engines) do multiple hits to generate their database. the web admins should be able to tell you the realistic (human) clicks as supposed to robots.

19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    This is a general forum for a community of photographers that range from beginner to pro. Obviously not every image posted will be of the highest quality, and it would be foolish to assume so. It's also arrogant of you to assume that "too many people here spend time in the forums staring at pictures rather than improving their own work". You said it yourself you don't know the posters involved so why would you make such an assumption?

The thing I love about this forum is the friendly atmosphere without all the ego you see elsewhere. Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but it doesn't mean other's can't react to it.

Curiously, was that your photograph you linked to?

20. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    So if I'm understanding this right, he thinks that the vast majority of images posted here are a waste of his time/not worth opening..and therefore has not seen the large threads mentioned. And has taken the time to tell us that a) he hasn't seen them b) it's because they aren't worth it for him to view and he has no interest.

While its a valid opinion, it doesn't exactly add to the discussion so I'm not sure why time and effort would be wasted to post about what hasn't been viewed.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App