1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Half frame camera lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by correos.e, Feb 13, 2012.

1. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Hi, I continue my quest for normal-ish, fast, cheap and small lenses for my MFT gear (someone said OCD?!?). I have a CCTV on its way (Wesley 24mm - acceptable but not great), Pentax 110 (great but slow), and I've tried a few Bolex 16mm cine lenses with too much vignetting. I still consider that it makes no sense to use huge lenses designed to cover huge sensors/frames when what we have is in fact akin to a half-frame sensor.
    So discarding the PEN F's, which are way too expensive. Was there any other half frame system around? Should I go the Frankenstein way and rip lenses from old half frame fixed lens RF type of cameras? Any recommendations?
    Cheers!

2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Try a Industar 69 from a Chaika camera. There was a thread about it a couple of weeks back. I also have a gaggle of old Argi lenses I've been meaning to try. Dirt cheap since you can get the camera with the lens for under $10.

3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Stick with native lenses, you'll eventually get to that point anyway.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    They may not be half-frame (or I prefer to say "single frame" as 135 film is actually a "double frame" - if you look at the original Pen F ads and manuals you will see that it was always referred to as "single frame" not "half frame"), but rangefinder lenses tend to be very small. On a budget, the older M39 screw mount rangefinder lenses are very good... If it's just small lenses you're after, you don't necessarily need to look at single-frame.

OlmpusPenF-Ad1.

5. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Thanks. I live a double life. I love AF native lenses and I am building my collection. However, I re-discovered the joys of MF and I guess I am kind of a cheapstake, I love chasing bargains and getting wonderful MF lenses... And for 300 bucks I'd rather get something new and shiny and electronic.
    Back to the topic: the industar 28mm is f2.8, not fast enough - I'd rather stick with my diminutive Pentax 110 24mm with the same (fixed) aperture.
    M39 lenses would be awesome, but aren't they fairly expensive?

6. correos.e

correos.e Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Thanks for pointing out the Argus! I didn't know about it. Any pictures of the mft+lenses? Any examples of pics? Back to OCD mode :)

7. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
  8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Leica, Zeiss, and even Voigtlander lenses are quite expensive, but there are cheaper options like the Russian Industar and Jupiter lenses. The optics in them are surprisingly good, and they are usually built around the Zeiss formula. Some even use Zeiss parts, like my 1953 Jupiter-3 (Russian copy of the Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/1.5):

jupiter-3_web.

9. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    A Jupiter-3 with shipping is going to run $150 to $200 or so.

The Konica EYE, non-working (frozen shutter), was $22 inclusive of shipping. The normal lens for a half-frame camera is close to that for m43, usually the fixed-lens half-frame cameras have 24mm~30mm normals. The ROBOT cameras have gone up in price lately, I have a Xenar 30mm F3.5 in ROBOT mount.

[​IMG]

So, a 30mm F1.9 lens for $22 and a couple of hours of cutting, filing, and epoxy.

If only the Selenium cell could be wired to the battery charger...

[​IMG]

10. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Does anyone know where to score some M43 bodycaps for cheap? I was recently able to get a whole bunch of the camera that can't be named bodycaps for $1 each. The thought of paying $3 for a M43 one irks me.

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Have you checked flea-bay? But really, $3 isn't really a lot of money. Figure the Chinese who make these probably sell 1000 Nikon caps for every m43 cap, I'm not surprised they cost more.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    lol, just how many empty bodies do you have? xD

13. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    They aren't for empty bodies, they're good for using to adapt lenses with.