1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Half case to improve ep5 grip?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Uncle Frank, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    The only thing I don't like about the ep5 is the handling. I miss the optional large grip I had on the ep3. Have any of you tried a half case... not to pimp out the camera, but to improve handling. I've been looking at the Gariz half case.

2. byron2112

byron2112 Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2011
    I can't speak to the EP5 in particular, but I do have a GX1... IMO the GX1 has a decent factory grip as far as small bodies go, but putting a half case on made it more comfortable and made my grasp on it much more secure for my taste. I think it's mostly the edge of the case that's over the grip kinda gives your fingertips something to positively grasp onto rather than mostly squeezing the camera body.

Funny you ask is I've been thinking about acquiring an EM5 and was actually wondering if the half case would bring the same sort of improvement...

• Like Like x 1
  3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    You might want to try a small strip of rough surface tape, like skateboard tape. I put this on all my cameras and it really helps the grip while being unobtrusive and adding no bulk. For example:

G1.

The stuff I use is 3M "Safety-Walk." http://www.amazon.com/3M-7635NA-Safety-Walk-Outdoor-180-Inch/dp/B0006HVKM4/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_y Sometimes I have also put a dab of it on the body rear thumbrest area, though it is the finger grip area that benefits most.

I have a roll bought at Home Depot that is several lifetimes of supply. If you PM me with an address I'll be happy to mail you a few inches/enough for several cameras.

Attached Files:

• G1.
      G1.jpg
      File size:
      54 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I installed a RRS L-plate on my E-P3 for tripod use and was amazed at how much easier it was to grab and use free standing. It even made me more steady! Maybe RRS will make an L-plate for the E-P5 in the next few months.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I have the leather half case on all the time on my GF1. It's more comfortable and adds extra grip, especially when using legacy or the P100-300 lens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I have one for my OM-D but it's one that Gariz calls their "Special" edition - with a more textured finish that's quite nice and 'grippy'.

5yan9V5.

I tried googling but I don't think they make one for the ep5.

The Gariz half cases add a little more height to the camera, about 1/3", which I really appreciate and IMO makes a good difference.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. kschles

kschles Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2010
    Laurel, MD; USA
    Ken
  8. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    Thanks for the feedback. I've been reluctant to add a halfcase, as I really like the appearance of my silver ep5 in commando form. I'm slowly forgetting the feel of the ep3's large grip, and am getting over my snit with Oly for not giving me the option to add one. Maybe I'll get used to it. I think I'll let it ride for a few more weeks before I try anything drastic.