Half case for GF1

burro39

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Paul
Is anyone using a half case with their GF1? If so how is it working out. Lots offered outside the USA. Would be interested if anyone has ordered and how that worked out. Open to suggestions. Would be nice to see some posted pics of suggestions.
Thanks Paul

burro39

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the resource Deirdre! I have been looking at this style case but have wondered about the security of the camera in the case since the back is completely open with only the side upright parts of the case to support the camera. Do you feel that it makes the camera feel more secure when you are holding it to shoot.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It screws into the bottom (in the tripod mount). Because of that, I've taken it off when I've used my monopod or "the pod".

burro39

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Paul
Great looking case John. Exactly what I am looking for....now if I could only buy the bottom half. I would be interested however if anyone out there has purchased this case. I am looking for one with an open back...don't like all the little leather pieces between the buttons etc. Unfortunately they don' show the back. Maybe I can find another source for the same case so I can view the back. That one looks like it fits the camera well.

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'll take a photo of the back of mine later. You're right, that was a frustration for me as well.

ekoe

Mu-43 Regular
I have the same one Deirdre has except in brown and I love it.

The back is open, no leather strips between the buttons. The raised bump (for lack of a better word) allows a much more secure grip on the camera, and the camera is quite secure in the half case because it's held on at the bottom with a male/female 1/4" tripod screw.

Excellent quality as well. I can highly recommend it.

burro39

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Paul
Thanks Ekoe! I have found photos of the back Deirdre, on an ebay site, so you do not have to post one. Now I am split between the one that John introduced me to and the ones that you guys are using. I have found a source for both which ships from the US. I just have to decide if I want the protection of the full case or just the half case. Thanks for all the info

Michael E

Mu-43 Rookie
How about one of these?

Leather half case for Panasonic GF-1, GF1 on eBay (end time 30-Sep-10 04:12:54 BST)

I have one and quite like it. Except for the attachment screw. It has a type which requires something like a coin or a flat blade to remove. I kept a small plate type screwdriver thing that I bought in the tool department of Sears when I was over there. It fits nicely in to the bag I use for the camera. It also lacks a tripod thread within. I recently replaced the screw with the type that you can remove with fingers only, and also has a tripod thread too.

burro39

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Paul
Michael I saw these on ebay and was wondering how snug they fit the camera. I was also a little leary of ordering from Tiwan, but the price was sure right. glad to hear you are enjoying yours.

burro39

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Paul
I have this case, which I bought off ebay, and came with the removable topcover that wraps over. The bottom section screws into the tripod thread, but has a hole in the base to thread your tripod into instead

GF1 and ever-ready case | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Pete I am beginning to think that this is the style I will end up getting so that I can just toss the camera on the car seat and not worry about the LCD screen getting scratched and yet can still remove the top section easily to walk around with the camera ready to shoot. All these suggestions and links have been quite helpful, especially when one is buying something over the web.
Paul

Spaceghost33

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Christopher Stelter
Squinno case

I too have the Squinno case that MichaelE recommended. It's fantastic! Very secure and great quality for $40.

Michael E

Mu-43 Rookie
Michael I saw these on ebay and was wondering how snug they fit the camera. I was also a little leary of ordering from Tiwan, but the price was sure right. glad to hear you are enjoying yours.

Mine fits well. As for ordering from the far east, I've had loads of stuff over the years and not once had a problem. I don't buy things that need a warranty a significant return cost should I have to send something back.

The full cases have their attraction, but don't have capacity for a spare battery which I always carry. And I've had to use it on a few occasions since I've had the camera from March.

For screen protection you should get a GGS glass cover - ebay again. Excellent and a good investment. I've already chipped and put a tiny crack on mine along one edge which would have been the lcd screen if not for the cover.

burro39

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the update Michael! I suppose that it is just as safe to order small things from outside the US as it is to order from NY or LA, its just the unknowns about customs and such that raise questions. I am still not sure whether to go the full case route or not, I always have a backpack or messenger bag with me so I probably don' need it. Totally agree about the LCD glass cover. I have used the shott glass and the ggs and both are good. Will let you guys know what I come up with.

petersandbach

Mu-43 Rookie
Wow - Luigi sure can make a case. As you say, however, a case that's worth half the cost of the camera and almost the cost of a lens is a bit steep! good luck with the case hunting, and enjoy!

mary poppins

Mu-43 Rookie
hi all. first post =)

deirdre, the white one you have looks to be out of softer leather than the others. is that indeed the 'case' with your case?

cheers

deirdre

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hey Mary -- given that I've never handled the other cases, I'm not sure!

I was going to order a different case for my EPL-1 now that I have it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom