Half a minute fix for making iphoto lightning fast to open

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Iconindustries, May 9, 2010.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Fiddling around today and iphoto had a small delay in opening up- (probably in the time of around 5 seconds) . I have 3800 pictures containing around 18gigabytes of space. Anyway i wasn't really worried about it, but i had some free time and googled around a bit and found a thread on MacRumours regarding the 'iphoto opening delay' They had a simple fix in the order of a terminal command. I thought to myself, i have all my images backed up - so i have nothing to lose if it didn't work.

Quote MacRumours "Inside the iPhoto Library Package, there are four SQLite databases (face_blob.db, face.db, iPhotoAux.db and iPhotoMain.db). I found that by vacuuming all four of these databases, I restored iPhoto '09's performance"

It only took a half a minute to run the command and when i had finished iphoto now opens up in about 1 second. Talk about fast!

So this is what i did. (On a Mac of course!)

Quit iphoto

type 'terminal' into spotlight.
    When terminal opens copy and past this command into it

cd ~/"Pictures/iPhoto Library/"

press enter.

then copy and paste this command into it.

for dbase in *.db; do sqlite3 $dbase "vacuum;"; done

Then press enter and close terminal. Open up iphoto. Worked perfectly for me and iphoto is now so fast to open up. Let me know how you go.

2. richie15

richie15 Guest

Thanks for this, really good tip
  3. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    That's awesome.....thanks for the info.

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey thanks Richie and Rich:smile:

Did you notice any speed in opening iphoto afterwards?