Haida filters - question ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PantelisMor, Dec 5, 2017.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Hello,

I have an oly 12-40 2.8 pro. I start buying Haida filters. I have an ND 6 stop Filter 100 mm x 100 mm with Haida Metal Filter Holder 100 Series Slip Filter. And i search to buy a Haida 10 stop filter 100 mm and GND 100 mm x 150mm

I want to know if i buy in the future the Oly 7-14 2.8 pro. Will i be able to use them ? and what holder do i need ? or Oly 7-14 2.8 is compatible with 150 mm x 150 mm ?

thx a lot

2. RJNear

RJNear Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jun 5, 2011
    Upstate NY
    R.J. Near
    For my 7-14 2.8 I ended up getting the Haida 150x150 filters and the Haida lens adaptor/holder. For my 12-40 2.8 I have the Lee Seven5 System which I had prior to getting the 7-14.

3. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

I have the one from Photosphere and it works fine with the 7-14/2.8. I use the Haida system I got from Ian here on mu-43 for my 12-100/4 and will be using it on my 40-150/2.8 and 25/1.2 soon too! The Photosphere adapter for the 7-14/27 is a foam adapter and fits quite nicely. I carry some gaffer tape with me block out any top or side light but so far haven't had a need for it.

4. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Just to make it clear, Yes, the Oly 7-14 will work with 100mm wide drop in filters. You need a filter holder "Adapter" specifically made to work with the Oly 7-14mm though. I too use the Photosphere SG holder adapter mentioned above and it will take 2 filters without vignetting at 7mm. The SG adapter is a slide-on foam rubber donut ring with a glued Haida 82mm metal ring on the front that allows the standard Haida drop in filter holder to work. (All are in the basic kit so if you bought the SG system you would have 2 Haida filter holders.) You can also use the Haida filter holder with other lenses by buying a step down adapter rings to fit whatever size lens you want to mount it to. I have both a 77mm and 62mm ring. And any 100mm wide drop in filter will work with the Haida standard holder.

The Oly is also compatible with 150mm wide filters too, but the filters, and the holder, are quite big to carry around with a M4/3 kit. And a lot more expensive.

Carrying the 7-14mm with the special holder and 100mm filters takes up a lot of space. Since I dual use with my FF Nikon gear it is OK, but on my current trip to Thailand I decided to leave the Oly 7-14mm at home and bought a 7.5mm f2.0 Laowa lens instead. It takes standard 46mm filters.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  5. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    It's already been said, but yes, the Haida 100 x 100 filters do work with the 7-14 PRO. You need the Photosphere SG adapter that slides over the outside of the 7-14's built-in lens hood, and the filter holder attaches to the integrated metal ring in the adapter.

6. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Another option is this 3D printed adapter for your 100mm Haida filter holder designed by Enzojz who is also a member of this forum. You also have to replace your current railings with the custom ones provided and it is suppose to allow you to use up to 2x 100mm filters without vignetting at at widest focal length. Also it's very inexpensive compared to other solutions. I recently purchased an adapter from him for my LEE filter holder just waiting for it to be 3D printed and shipped.

Adapter M.Zuiko 7-14mm / Haida filter holder by enzojz on Shapeways

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  7. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Martin, does the Lee and Haida system use the same size adapter ring or did you have a custom size made for you? I was led to believe that they were a slightly different diameter back when I bought my system a couple of years ago.

8. verbatimium

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Yea, Lee and Haida systems use different rings. Enzojz also makes the LEE versions of the adapter rings for the 7-14mm PRO. In fact, he makes LEE adapter rings for the 12-40mm and 40-150mm PRO lenses as well which I also ordered. The benefits of these is that you don't use the filter mount of the lens, but instead use the hood bayonet to mount the adapter. This allows you to have a filter on the actual lens (like a protective UV filter a polarizer) and you don't have to remove the filter.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Thx a lot. I am happy, i will be able to use 100 mm filters. I think i will buy in the future Enzojz as i have already Haida holder and is cheaper soloution...

10. verbatimium

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    No problem. Here is a video he posted of the vignetting performance at 7mm with the Haida holder. As you can see, there is virtually no noticeable vignetting due to the adapter/holder. The only issue I can see is with strong ND filters that have those foam light-leak gaskets attached such as the LEE big stopper. I am thinking that the actual foam gasket may cause some vignetting and you may need to cut away some of the foam to prevent this.