Had to return my OM-D... battery draining while powered off

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DelJ, May 8, 2012.

1. DelJ

DelJ New to Mu-43

May 8, 2012
    I received my OM-D after just a couple of weeks after ordering it from B&H in New York. I was all jazzed up as I have used my terrific old OM-2 film camera for many years. The new camera looks a lot my old camera (both black on black!) and now I can use my old lenses again, like my superb 55mm f/1.2, with the OM adapter!!

The new OM-D was really great, except that it drained the battery completely when turned off. I would charge the battery, verify that the camera detected a fully charged battery by displaying the green battery icon, and then turn the camera off. The battery would be fully drained the next morning. Also, the battery didn't last very long during normal use and I had to recharge several times while learning how to use the camera. This happened three days in a row.

I verified that the battery was fine. It took the normal time to charge (a defective battery will often charge quicker than expected), and battery held the charge just fine overnight when not installed in the camera.

So sad, and I am going on vacation soon. B&H was real good about it. They emailed me a free return shipper and they said that I am first in line for a replacement as they will go by my original order date. Great customer service.

2. maflynn

maflynn Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2012
    Bummers man, sorry to hear that you got a defective unit :(

I got mine for my trip and so I can empathize
  3. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm also about to send my E-M5 back. It would go dead repeatedly, and I'd have to pull the battery out, replace and restart. Now it's gone dead and nothing is reviving it. Battery recharged, contacts cleaned, nada. Olympus has been helpful, but they warned me that it may take them a while to find a replacement unit. I also have events coming up, and I sold my Canon 5D to pay for the E-M5. Fortunately, I have my E-PL2 in a pinch, but I also sold the EVF.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Carp, that's bad news guys. :( I want the E-M5 and there are plenty of things I could probably sell off to afford it, but my experience tells me not to hawk essential gear for anything new for just this reason. I maintain at least 3 bodies at a time for a reason, as anything could go wrong. I also have enough lenses to make up for mishaps, but nothing ever happens to my lenses. They are tough as nails. ;) Bodies break down and wear down all the time however, as do lights... I always need sufficient backup. If I could afford the OM-D by selling one of my bodies I would, but I wouldn't sell two or three of them, nor would I sell off accessories like the VF-2 until I had a full collection of OM-Ds in my stall, lol.
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I also found my E-M5 to have a dead battery yesterday. I had used it quite a bit the day before, but it struck me as odd that it would be completely dead the next day when it seemed to have some juice left when I turned it off. Hoping it was an isolated incident in my case.
  6. SNTP

SNTP Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2011
    Maybe the IS is still on even when the camera is OFF!
    lol sorry had to...
    But this doesn't bode well if they're having battery issues... when i shoot in the field i actually turn off my camera a lot to save battery on my EPL1 when i'm not shooting. Maybe the 3rd party batteries will be ok?
  7. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I've had my E-M5 for about 10 days and the battery has been holding its charge nicely including overnight.
  8. DelJ

DelJ New to Mu-43

May 8, 2012
    Good to hear. I want this camera to be a good thing.

I called Olympus customer support about this and the guy said that this had happened with some of the PEN cameras.

9. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    I have a suspicion that most of the E-M5 troubles are battery-related, including the prolonged shipping delays. It is a new battery, and they can't seem to make them fast enough. I think there might be some quality control problems. Often in large scale electronics rollouts the batteries are the biggest stumbling block. Even if supply can meet demand there is no good way to know how well a new battery will perform until it is out in the hands of the users. Hopefully this is a minor issue that can be resolved easily.

For the record I've not had any problems with my E-M5 or battery in the (almost) four weeks I've had them. *knocks on all the wood*
  10. klarity

klarity Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2012
    Battery life

I've only had my Em-5 since lat Thursday but I also have concerns about the battery life. It's died on my once, shortly after a full charge. It's not done it since but it has refused to wake up once and required the battery to be removed and re-inserted.
    I'm due a spare battery from Olympus as that was part of the promo deal - like the two piece grip and case that were also included - it has yet to appear!

I'd prefer to get the spare battery before send off this one.
  11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    One more data point for the chart:

Just checked my E-M5 after putting it away with a fully charged battery last night (about 17 hrs. ago) and the battery has retained a full charge.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

New products, even well designed and built ones will have some bugs. Defective units happen too! Let's hope this is the exception and not the norm. One reason why I didn't just the shell out the bucks was to wait until these minor issued had been resolved. However any defective units that go back to Olympus will be reconditioned and sold at a lower price! I often get gear this way and save some cash. B & H have always been good when I had issues with orders, even when it was my fault.
  13. Gyroscope

Gyroscope Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    SE London
    Another data point: charged last wednesday. 150 shots on Saturday. Macro work on Sunday. Transfers, reviewing shots, you name it. Still showing a full charge the following Tuesday night.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Haven't seen any issue of battery drain on my E-M5... Hoping it stays that way...
  15. DelJ

DelJ New to Mu-43

May 8, 2012
    In my case the camera was pulling a significant amount of current from the battery even though the camera was turned off. The battery itself was not self-discharging when outside of the camera, so as far as I could tell the battery was fine.

16. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    My battery has not given me any of these problems in the two weeks I've owned the camera.
  17. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Back in my day "off" meant "off"! We didn't have your fancy EVF's and IBIS's. Our batteries lasted forever, because we were the batteries! We had to stare at things until we remembered what they looked like so we could later chisel the images into the walls of our primitive mud huts with sharp sticks AND WE LIKED IT. /old man rant

Hope you get a non-vampire camera soon!
  18. stuntman

stuntman M43 FOR THIRDS 4 EVER

Jul 6, 2011
    I believe it would be more likely a bad battery scenario vs a "camera that is off" drain. A camera that is off is OFF. I would charge the battery, use it for an hour or two and remove it from the camera for a day. If you put it back in and it's drained, bad battery. I have seen this happen before.

19. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    It might useful to check the firmware version of your OM-D,
    some people have erratic behavior when try updating it.
    Mine is version 1.1 Out of the box and seems not suffer the battery drainage.
    Tough the uses of included flash drain it very fast....:-(
  20. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks for the sympathy and suggestions. I did update firmware to 1.1 before it died. I strongly suspect my problem is battery-related, but I guess I'll have to send the whole camera back. The silver lining: there may be a few refurbished models available before too long.