Had the price of the P14/2.5 jumped lately?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dixeyk, Dec 26, 2012.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been noticing prices look to be anywhere from $25-$50 more than they were when I was last in the market for one (and selling mine). Are other folks seeing the same jump or am I remembering it wrong?
  2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    I've noticed that on Ebay, new 14s parted from kits are going for up to $200 (US stock), whereas over the summer, they were going for $160-170. I've no idea why....
  3. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    Not that I noticed.. still see them on ebay for 160-170 new, and a bit less used.
  4. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I bought one last Summer and I think I paid $135 for it.
  5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Dixeyk!

I paid $170 U.S., E-Bay, new out of kit on November 5th. They seem to be between $179 and $199 now. Maybe shipping has gone up? Or they are running out of "out of kit" lenses?

Or the off shore sellers bumped prices a bit to maximize profits during the American holidaze?

Dunno. I'd still consider it a bargain at anything under $200, though. Pretty good value for the money.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't recall average used prices ever being very much lower than the new Ebay prices, which have been pretty steady in the $165-170 range. In fact, last summer there were still a lot of people asking $250+ for this lens because the Ebay prices weren't as known, and many of us paid full retail.
  7. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

I just checked and it looks like they have gone up, they use to be about $120 now they're running at $160 (usd) odd... might be to do with the exchange rate though, the usd has been tumbling for a bit.

Maybe we need an economist to tell us the value of our camera stuff in gold bullions :rolleyes:
  8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    maybe I should quit promoting this fine little jewel of a lens...
    • Like Like x 2
  9. milez

milez Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2012
    US dollar has been appreciating against the Japanese Yen for the last 3 months. So, its definitely not because of exchange rate.
  10. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
  11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Probably just normal price fluctuation. :biggrin:
  12. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    You've got to consider that there haven't been any recent panasonic camera kits that have included the 14mm lens either - if the overseas dealers don't have the kits to break apart, that will make available inventory diminish, thus bringing a rise in prices. Also, if people were getting these for $120 or $135, I'm pretty sure those were one offs (probably here on the forum used) - I don't recall ever seeing the newly parted kit lenses on ebay going consistently less than around $160.
  13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I paid $180(shipped) for mine. It was a kit take out that I got from a US seller from ebay. I had been looking at them for several months and I didn't see them as less. Sure some of the Asian sellers were a little bit cheaper(as low as $160). However I didn't see any selling at $135! If I had, I would have jumped on them. There may have been one or two used ones that went that cheap but they were the exception and not the norm.

But I have seen a huge price increase on the E-P3! They are now going for over $8000!

Olympus E P3 Pen Digital Camera with 14 42mm Lens Black 050332179462 | eBay
  14. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    I cou be off on that price. I'll have to go back and check but I remember I bought it out of Korea and it was cheap.

LOL...I love that the seller is "bigvalueinc"
  15. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    is any particular eBay vendor "better" or preferred over the others?
  16. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I got my 14mm from "2011fashionpie", included free shipping, and got across the pond in a reasonable time frame. Lens was well packed.

2011fashionpie is based in China. I ordered from them because they had a high satisfaction rating on E-Bay (not that that is any guarantee of satisfaction, but ya gotta rely on somethin...

That's the only recent vendor I've dealt with on E-Bay; it's not a venue I usually use. However the deals on the 14mm were good enough to place an order there rather than Amazon, B&H, or Adorama.

17. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    I got mine for 150 "new" from a kit shipped this summer, but that was the cheapest I saw (I shopped around/lurked ebay for about two weeks).
  18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've been following them since the beginning, and I can't ever remember them being $120. Even now looking through our Buy & Sell archives, I don't see that ever having been the case. There may have been the rare person selling low for a quick sale, but that was never the "going rate".

I paid over $300 for mine and have never regretted it for an instant. Great lens!
  19. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    I got mine (used) a few weeks ago from a seller on Craigslist for $125. I had originally intended on buying another lens from him and walked away with his 14mm prime instead :tongue:
  20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I couldn't find one for less than $150, which is where I bought my last one, and sold one. I ended up paying $185 for a black one (now wish I had gone with silver -- the black doesn't look as good on my black EPL3 as I thought it would).

There was an article in the WSJ today about Japan trying to drop the value of the Yen to the Dollar. That would bode well for my consumer-itch side, but of course that creates other issues (i.e. US exports to Japan become more expensive)