Had an accident with my GH2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by roverT, Apr 5, 2013.

1. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Because the microphone input is 2.5mm most mics are 3.5mm. So I use this to connect my wireless microphone to:
    p16209a.

I had the camera connected to this exact tripod/video head:

I was on the roof filming so as we went down on the ladder I passed the camera which was anchored to the tripod to my subject who went ahead of me. I know he held the camera with the camera strap when I wasn't looking as I went down the ladder. The weight of the camera/tripod/video head was too much for the 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter and the strap torqued it out of the plug and bent the jack. I came down to find the adapter hanging outside of the camera.....I put it back in and there was no drag or 'click' as it went in.

I've tested another exact adapter but the GH2 doesn't seem to recognize that there's anything in the mic input plug. Is this fixable or is it cheaper to just purchase a new/used body? I'm assuming this connection is part of a main circuit board which is tough to fix.... Any advice would be great before I spend money shipping the camera across the country to get diagnosed.

During the shoot I had no choice but to purchase a new camera so I went with a Canon T4i with the 18-135mm lens. Gawd this thing is heavy/big compared to my broken GH2 and nowhere near the same video sharpness. But images seem to look marginally better than my GX1/GH2.

2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It might be fixable but it is going to be expensive! The board that connector is on will need to be replaced! If it is the main board that may cost more than the camera is worth. I work at a church and we have issues with busted plugs all the time. Right now several of our Canon XL-1s' need to have the RCA plugs repaired. Find a good shop authorized by Panasonic and get a quote.

This is one thing I hate about the GH2 and why I am reluctant to get one - that 2.5mm plug is way too delicate. The new GH3 has the larger 3.5mm{1/8inch} plug. This might be a good time for you to upgrade to the Gh3? Of coarse the GH3 is almost as big and heavy as that Canon.

3. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Ooooo that doesn't sound really good. I've played with the GH3 when I was abroad in London, UK in February. I think it's lighter than the T4i but the size is much larger than the GH2. I'm trying to decide on if I keep the T4i since it is mainly for video or get something else. I bought the camera with 18-135mm lens and an extra battery for about $1,200. The body of the GH3 is already that cost. The T4i is nice because it has the standard 3.5mm mic plug and the weight gives me a steadier picture if I am standing with the camera. Is there any other DSLR in the price range that I should have gotten? The only thing I do like about the T4i is the super high res articulating LCD and dynamic range since it is a bigger sensor.

4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I've heard of the nikon 5200 getting a lot of video use.

5. w7ox

w7ox Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    Phil Wheeler
    The GH3 is a far more flexible video camera than anything but the high-end DSLRs (Canon 5D Mk III or some such). But if the T4i meets your needs, go with it.

The real advantage of m4/3 is not in the body size-wt but in that of the lenses. But from your signature your lens set is in the small, short realm so you would not see that advantage.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nikon is getting better with their video but they are still short of what Canon and Panasonic have to offer. But that only makes since - both Canon and Panasonic are big names in the video world{both consumer and professional}.

7. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I still plan on using a GH series in the near future...I really do miss the sharpness of the video as I film in more controlled environments that are setup and somewhat staged so worrying about the GH's dynamic range isn't much of an issue compared to using a DSLR with a larger APS-C sensor for improved dynamic range.

I guess what I'm getting at is I am looking for a spare camera to compliment a GH. The T4i's touchscreen makes me feel at home compared to what I'm used to on my GX1 and GH2. If the Canon is my best bet for now...then I'm looking forward to the Magic Lantern hack for the T4i to capture HDR video....that might solve my issue with someone inside wanting outside to be exposed nice and clear too which would totally compliment the GH's capabilities.

8. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    I heard the nikon d5200 video is very good, on par with gh2, gh3 5d
    it has a toshiba sensor or something. Look it up

[ame="http://vimeo.com/63379883"]http://vimeo.com/63379883[/ame]
    sample

9. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013

10. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    You heard? Is this the rumour mill? haha Sorry, there isn't a Nikon in existence today which is on par with the cameras you mentioned. The camera you mentioned doesn't even have full manual control.

11. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    If it's better than a T4i which I feel is soft...then maybe the D5200 is a good sidekick to the GH to have as backup just in case. I see a new D5200 with 18-55 lens and the Nikon accessory kit with the extra battery for $850. I just want something that works asap and works as close as the GH2 as I can get. The cool thing with the D5200 I think is a WiFi Dongle that connects to an Android device for remote/liveview.