Had a pleasant surprise today

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, Jan 4, 2014.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    How often it is that you happen upon, not one, not two, but 5 random strangers, all with Olympus cameras?

Well, it happened today. :smile:

Full story (and pic) in my blog (I'll also copy the full text below):

• Like Like x 8
  2. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    What a great experience :smile: I hope that I'll experience something similar one day. To many canikons around in my country as well.
    You also have a great website!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dandon

dandon Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 3, 2014
    Sounds like a great day, and a great set of cameras!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Cool! I wouldn't have believed you without the picture... I think I've only seen 1 other olympus camera in the wild.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Wonderful! I rarely see Oly in Denver. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DougVaughn

DougVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    Franklin, TN
    Doug Vaughn
    Count me in with those who rarely see Olympus... but I love mine. I read an article in the past week naming Olympus (camera division) as one of five companies unlikely to survive 2014. I don't remember the publication name, but it seemed tied to the Wall Street Journal in some way.

I for one hope the article is dead wrong. Olympus is making great strides in their technology and producing very nice equipment. If folks buying the low-end Canon/Nikon stuff only knew. Crossing my fingers for a prosperous micro 43 future.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Thank you all guys!

As I said, it was a delightful surprise for me too. And, to make things even more exciting, hear this I just learned (since we exchanged contacts with one of the photographers):

After we parted ways the three other guys went on for their photowalk. During which they encountered four more photographers they knew in some way (social media mainly). Well, two of them were rocking E-M5s and one female photographer was using a film OM-10.

Here in Greece Canonikon has a huge slice of the market, as expected. But I tell you what: things are changing and people are just starting to see the merits of mirrorless systems.

I am admin and founder of a greek-language FB group, concerned with technical and photography equipment discussions. We currently have ~4000 members which makes us one of the biggest photographic communities in Greece already (esp. since we mainly concentrate on gear and photographic techniques/theory).

One year ago when I started the group, only a handful of people had any real experience with mirrorless, and a vast percentage viewed them as little more than toys. Now, it's a whole different game. Sony's recent duo of cameras fueled interest for people bent on FF, but MFT and other mirrorless systems have gained respect from every corner. Many have handled the E-M1 during the early introduction phase (the greek dealer had arranged for hands-on events in a number of stores), and were blown away. An increasing number of photographers now have a smaller MFT or (more rarely) other mirrorless (Fuji or Sony) as their "personal" camera, even if they still use DSLRs for professional work (which, in Greece, it mainly means weddings). I have people sending me personal messages thanking me, and the group, for guiding them to smaller, capable photographic tools. Even one of my fellow admins, who has a full D800 kit with top glass, got himself a E-M5 a couple of months ago, and now can't do without it, using it considerably more than the Nikon. He is also a member here and can attest to all that.

Point is: mirrorless and MFT in particular (being the most mature system) is gaining serious traction. Even in a small market like Greece, struck by the economic crisis. Perhaps a lot of it doesn't show in sales figures, since a lot of people buy used. But what I see is, it's a very solid option, competing with crop sensor DSLRs all the way, and becoming the only system for a considerable number of pros also. I really hope Olympus and Panasonic raise to the challenge of offering serious photographic tools and even expanding on their target market.
  8. bwc1976

bwc1976 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 30, 2012
    Spring Valley, CA
    Too cool, especially considering your country is where the name Olympus originally came from! :-]