1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Had a class project, bought some balloons and went to the beach

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by beanedsprout, Apr 30, 2014.

1. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    It's actually for the final, and we were supposed to shoot 8-10 images that had a common theme and had used used one of the techniques/skills/previous assignments. One of them was studio portraits, but I HATE working in the studio, so I convinced the professor to let me do whatever I wanted. I took my friend who occasionally models for me and we went to the beach with some balloons in tow. It was incredibly windy that day, which made things pretty difficult. I even swapped lenses, which I REALLY DIDN'T want to do, but the 12-40 just wasn't giving me the results I wanted. Unfortunately the 150mm equivalent focal length was making me stand way back, and it was hard to give directions to her with all of the wind.

Thankfully on the way to the beach we got a hold of her boyfriend and convinced him to come along and help carry gear. Plus with the wind, I needed someone to hold the light stand with my strobes. I used a Cheetah tri-flash bracket and 3 LumoPro LP180 strobes at 1/32 power. Earlier in the day I had all three set at 1:1 power and it still wasn't enough with the umbrella, but thankfully the sun went behind the clouds when we got to the beach. It was actually really tough going, and I don't want to have to do it again, but some of the pictures turned out amazingly well, and I'm so glad we did it. Eventually we moved closer to the water where there wasn't any debris, but then some pretty big waves came and soaked her boyfriend up to his knees and she also ended up getting wet. Thankfully he didn't drop my lights!

Anyway here is my favorite! I haven't edited the rest yet, but I'll post some more up as I finish them.
    13884613328_81563e3326_b.

Thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 10
  2. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Whoops. Apparently someone didn't like my embedded flickr thing and disabled it. Fixed now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Lovely image of the model!

Just wish I could see a little more of her face.. and not sure if your instructor allows it, but maybe remove the flash reflections off of the black balloons? It seems a little distracting taking my attention away from her face.

4. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Hm maybe. I kinda like them there, or at the very least don't mind them. I see what you mean though. And I've done way too much more than just some spot removal on this image. I'll remove them and see if I like it better

5. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    As someone who had to go through several "art" related finals, web design, 2D design, 3D design, 3D animation, photography, and videography, etc, make sure you hold onto what you like (or think that is right).

However, for what you turn in.. even though you might not agree, turn in something that the instructor likes or deems important.
    I hated that concept while in school, because as long as your instructor liked it, you got an A, but it totally translate to the real world.

If the client likes it, you or the company you work for gets paid.

I ultimately left the industry for "other" various reasons, but I still use that concept when dealing with my photography work.

Good luck with your finals!

• Like Like x 1
  6. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    This is a nice shot and very well lit.
    If it were mine I would clone out the bacground trees on the right (using the horizon on the left) so as to have uninterrupted view of the baloon shapes. I know that many people frown upon image manipulations but this is not news photography.

7. beanedsprout

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Good thing it's not yours then. :D The Phoblographer saw this and now they're doing a feature on it and interviewing me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    Hey! That's great! Congratulations!

• Like Like x 1