Had a class project, bought some balloons and went to the beach

beanedsprout

Mu-43 Veteran
It's actually for the final, and we were supposed to shoot 8-10 images that had a common theme and had used used one of the techniques/skills/previous assignments. One of them was studio portraits, but I HATE working in the studio, so I convinced the professor to let me do whatever I wanted. I took my friend who occasionally models for me and we went to the beach with some balloons in tow. It was incredibly windy that day, which made things pretty difficult. I even swapped lenses, which I REALLY DIDN'T want to do, but the 12-40 just wasn't giving me the results I wanted. Unfortunately the 150mm equivalent focal length was making me stand way back, and it was hard to give directions to her with all of the wind.

Thankfully on the way to the beach we got a hold of her boyfriend and convinced him to come along and help carry gear. Plus with the wind, I needed someone to hold the light stand with my strobes. I used a Cheetah tri-flash bracket and 3 LumoPro LP180 strobes at 1/32 power. Earlier in the day I had all three set at 1:1 power and it still wasn't enough with the umbrella, but thankfully the sun went behind the clouds when we got to the beach. It was actually really tough going, and I don't want to have to do it again, but some of the pictures turned out amazingly well, and I'm so glad we did it. Eventually we moved closer to the water where there wasn't any debris, but then some pretty big waves came and soaked her boyfriend up to his knees and she also ended up getting wet. Thankfully he didn't drop my lights!

Anyway here is my favorite! I haven't edited the rest yet, but I'll post some more up as I finish them.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for looking!

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Lovely image of the model!

Just wish I could see a little more of her face.. and not sure if your instructor allows it, but maybe remove the flash reflections off of the black balloons? It seems a little distracting taking my attention away from her face.

beanedsprout

Mu-43 Veteran
Hm maybe. I kinda like them there, or at the very least don't mind them. I see what you mean though. And I've done way too much more than just some spot removal on this image. I'll remove them and see if I like it better

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hm maybe. I kinda like them there, or at the very least don't mind them. I see what you mean though. And I've done way too much more than just some spot removal on this image. I'll remove them and see if I like it better
As someone who had to go through several "art" related finals, web design, 2D design, 3D design, 3D animation, photography, and videography, etc, make sure you hold onto what you like (or think that is right).

However, for what you turn in.. even though you might not agree, turn in something that the instructor likes or deems important.
I hated that concept while in school, because as long as your instructor liked it, you got an A, but it totally translate to the real world.

If the client likes it, you or the company you work for gets paid.

I ultimately left the industry for "other" various reasons, but I still use that concept when dealing with my photography work.

Good luck with your finals!

stargate

Mu-43 Regular
This is a nice shot and very well lit.
If it were mine I would clone out the bacground trees on the right (using the horizon on the left) so as to have uninterrupted view of the baloon shapes. I know that many people frown upon image manipulations but this is not news photography.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom