1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hacking a GH1 -- anyone want to do a tutorial?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by demiro, Oct 5, 2012.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I've wanted to hack my GH1 for enhanced video capabilities, but for the life of me I feel like I need to be a Russian hacker myself to make heads or tails of how to go about the process. There is so much info and so many different links to DVXUser floating around the etherwebs...

Wondering if anyone who has done this would be up for posting a bullet point list of "How to Hack the GH1 for Dumb Dummies"?

I can't be the only one who this might help. Well, maybe I am. :redface:

Many thanks for anyone willing to take a shot at this!

2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    (more info here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?212263-Ptool-for-beginners-Ptool-FAQ)

Download ptool3, get it running on your system (this may require more steps on a Mac, but it isn't hard).

Download whatever patch you want to apply. Some are best for low light, some best for fast action, some offer higher bitrates with greater stability than others. For example, the fast action type of patches tend to use higher bitrates and you can run out of processing power leading to anything from dropped/bad frames to crashing your camera. (note that none of these patches have been shown to "blow up" or "brick" your camera, but some can crash).

Put the patch file in a working folder.

Download the latest firmware for your camera and put a copy in your working folder.

Use ptool to open the firmware, then click the letter corresponding to the patch file in your directory to modify the firmware with the patches. Save the modified firmware.

Charge the original Panasonic battery, load the patched firmware.

3. emperorvince

emperorvince Mu-43 Regular

Jun 8, 2012
    NYC
    Yes its just that easy ! I did my GF2 the same day that I got it and was satisfied with the new video quality. There are a lot of patches though so try to find the newest ones for your model camera. If you dont like the one you try..just do the steps all over and try out a different patch. I went through 4 before I settled on one I really liked ! Here's a link to the gh1 hack wiki.

http://www.gh1-hack.info/wiki/PToolSoftware

4. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Charge the original Panasonic battery, load the patched firmware.[/QUOTE]

The GH1 comes with a mains adaptor that slips into the battery compartment and takes the pace of the battery so you can run the camera directly from mains electricity
    As an option you can use this whilst you are doing your firmware

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks guys -- I really appreciate the fast and thorough responses!

I think I did this successfully, though I'm not really sure if anything has changed with the camera (just looking at menus). I'll have to play around with it some more.

Thanks again!