Hacked GH1 compared to Canon 7D at 1080p 24fps

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Why yes, yes they have!

well I'll be damned, i completely forgot about it. I actually do remember seeing it, but they mentioned no manual controls yet, and it looked complicated (well, more effort than I was willing to put in since the GF1 doesn't even have a mic input).

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What are the pro/cons for Panasonic to release this capability on GH1 with a firmware upgrade?

Pro:
  • Happy GH1 customers advicing other to join
    [*]More GH1 (and up) sales
    [*]Non-m43 users joining m43 faster​

Con:
  • Less value difference between GH1 and successor
    [*]Slower acceptance of new generation (with higher price, new features to correct for inflation) - Only until GH1 sold out and being stuck with GH1 after GH2 introduction is not good either
    [*]Less GH1 customers upgrading to successor - How many customers buy a camera every year and most of those that do that will do it either way​

Am I overlooking things or should Panasonic release (and support) the hack themselves?

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
It seems to me that the hack reduces the compression rate (increases bit rate) for video and gives access to other parameters which are hard coded on the conservative side (e.g. to allow for lowest common denominator SDHC transfer speed) or comply with regional veriations (e.g. European limit on record time to avoid tax, or language versions)

The best thing Panasonic could do is make future unauthorised hacking at least as easy (if not easier) and give even more hooks to further parameters.

Cheers

Brian

JoepLX3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Dear Brian,

That is exactly what I thought, so with higher cost (new electronics, fees) Panasonic can also enable this on future generations. But it proofs for sure that they have technical potential to improve much more very soon (beyond Nikon/Canon).

In the past I looked into a iRiver gadget MP3/4 player on which you could load Flash applications (and write yourself), but firmware hacks are even more down into the electronics. Pretty interesting outsiders can "look" inside a camera that deep...

Wait, I remember reading stories on Canon. Let me google, look for example here:
CHDK Wiki

It is getting close to open source programming. Then Panasonic can sell it as a piece of hardware without software (so no video fees) and at home you install the software to support photo/video/MP4/Etc...
- Hmm, let us keep it this way :wink:

Best regards,

Joep

Krang

Mu-43 Veteran
Actually Panasonic made a new unofficial firmware update, that ship with the new GF1 and GH1. It prevents users from using the GH13 hack :/

So they are not taking the hack so positively after all…

Tomek

Mu-43 Rookie
Actually Panasonic made a new unofficial firmware update, that ship with the new GF1 and GH1. It prevents users from using the GH13 hack :/

So they are not taking the hack so positively after all…
A pity, and a shame too. They could just let go, at least. :mad:

pictor

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Actually Panasonic made a new unofficial firmware update, that ship with the new GF1 and GH1. It prevents users from using the GH13 hack

We don't know, why the firmware has been updated. It's quite normal to deliver cameras with a corrected firmware, if bugs have been found. There cannot be an official firmware update for each corrected bug. If I buy a new camera, I definitely want a firmware which is as free of bugs as possible and if Panasonic just does their best to accomplish that, I won't say no.

six4

New to Mu-43
We don't know, why the firmware has been updated. It's quite normal to deliver cameras with a corrected firmware, if bugs have been found. There cannot be an official firmware update for each corrected bug. If I buy a new camera, I definitely want a firmware which is as free of bugs as possible and if Panasonic just does their best to accomplish that, I won't say no.

I have this mythical "unhackable" GH1 at the moment and really hope that you are right (the part where they will eventually release this firmware).

It seems all the GH1's with the serial number from early June (around when the hack was first introduced)

So far - without being able to get a hold of the 1.34 firmware, attempts at hacking the GH1 have been impossible.

Latest threads

Top Bottom