"Hackable" GH1s?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by crashwins, Oct 9, 2012.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    I just bought one off a M43 forum member..Loading/creating the firmware was simple, but I just noticed my videos were nothing better than 30fps, not the hacked frame-rate. My serial begins with WE1A...Did I get an unhackable body? Ugh, I hope not...

2. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Actually, just noticed that I'm getting just under 24fps on AVCHD and about 30 on motion jpeg. Anyone know how to figure out if that hack worked? I mean, I did everything necessary to custom-load the firmware, etc. Thanks, folks!

3. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    All the bodies are hackable, so you should be fine. If you're shooting 1080P, then you need to deinterlace your video in order for your codec to read the file as 24P. (It's a 24P file regardless though.) Instead of using cineform, I just use my NLE to do all the deinterlacing.

4. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    Since your firmware installed properly, then your hack is definitely working. Load up a video file in VLC and view the codec details as the video is playing. When you see your bitrates jump up beyond 17MBps that's a good indicator that the hacked worked properly. You can also check your bitrate status on a Playstation 3.

5. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Awesome, thanks for the help..I'll look a little more throughly now (I was using quicktime before). Since, I have you, do you know where the "shoot without lens" option is within the menu so I can use my old legacy lenses on this thing? Thanks!

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Very last option on page 5 of custom menu (C wrench)

7. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Great. Thank you

8. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    My understanding was that only earlier GH1 bodies were hackable and that after a particular production run and Serial number they were not as Panasonic protected them from hacking with updated firmware ?

9. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm fairly certain that hacks were eventually developed for all GH1s.

10. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Well, if I'm getting 24fps on AVCHD this must be hacked, regardless, correct? I also agree - there's a lot of information on there, but the timeline can be confusing. You'd think with recent videos and such someone would have just said: "if you have this serial, you're SOOL" or something of the like..

11. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Hmmm. My custom menu (C-Wrench) is only 1 page. Is it possible the hack did something to the menu? In fact, the only menu with multiple pages is the playback menu selection. I noticed this the other day when I went to format the card after updating the firmware (the hacked one) and couldn't find the format selection...Thanks folks!

12. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Scratch that..Figured it out. Totally new to this camera. Didn't realize I needed to switch to SCN to get a different menu. Thanks

13. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    It will be one page in iA mode. Try it in A or video.

14. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Over the last few days I've recorded many videos -- different lighting, movement, etc -- and never gotten anything over 29.97fps. Any thoughts on this? Loading the firmware hack seemed pretty straightforward and I was certain it loaded fine. I used the lpowell settings

15. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    There aren't any additional fps settings provided by the hack. You get 60fps when the video quality is set to SH, the hack increases the bitrate from the default 14MB/s.

16. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Thank you. Can you explain SH? Not an option I'm seeing

17. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    I see: I had been selecting FHD. So SH is a better performer? Thanks

18. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Just different. FHD is 1080/24, but SH is 720/60. You get more frames per second but less info per frame. Good for shooting slomo.

19. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Ah gotcha. So there's no way to get the higher frame rate in 1080p? Surprising since there's such excitement over the hack and ppl seem to make 1080p the standard for even Vimeo movies...

20. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Nope, 1080/24 is the current HD movie standard, which is why it's used everywhere. 24fps is the cinema standard with a long history.