1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Hack it?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by RobWatson, Aug 27, 2012.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've handled this for years and never figured how to remove the lens ... anyone know if it is possible with resorting to tools (as in irreverable extraction)?

Kodak.

Kodak Retina Automatic III

2. Jagged

Jagged Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    New Zealand
    Jeremy
    I've been wondering similar things since kodak and agfa cameras are showing up cheap on a local auction site. If its possible it will be similar to the yashica gsn hacks found on this forum I suspect.

Any idea what these lenses are like quality wise? The yashica stands out since it is f/1.7 where as most of the other rangedinders are f/2.6+

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not doing anything but sitting in a closet for 25 years ...

4. Jagged

Jagged Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 14, 2012
    New Zealand
    Jeremy
    Ok, now I'm home and using a laptop I've done a little research.
    The Retina Automatic is a fixed lens rangefinder, where as the earlier Retinas had interchangeable lenses. The quality of the fixed lens rangefinders is meant to be much lower than the earlier versions.

I've seen the interchangeable lenses for sale, but had no idea what mount they where and (correctly) assumed they where not easily adaptable for M43 use.

The good news, it's a German designed coated triplet lens and could yield very respectable IQ and the camera is not an ultra rare collectable yet... ($30-100US on ebay in working cond. BTW)
    Also the lens mounts flush to the Camera, which should simplify making an adapter from a modified c-mount, M42 or other existing adapter.

Now for the bad news, if the design is similar between the Automatic I and III then you have to make your way past this to remove the shutter ... Retina Automatic 1 Prontormat-S (04) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Also this photo shows how to remove the lens from the camera, if as I suspect, its a similar design:
    Retina Automatic 1 Prontormat-S (02) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If you are really determined to do this and have some technical nous, then I would start by measuring the flange to back distance.

Here be dragons.

• Like Like x 1