GX9

Real Name
Troy
I don't understand though how anyone could use a camera without an EVF in bright sunlight, especially for moving things like motorsports, airshows, sports, etc. I won't purchase a camera without one, been there, done that.

Not everyone is 900 years old and broken...

I live in one of the sunniest places on earth and have never needed to use an EVF to compose a shot...

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I live in one of the sunniest places on earth and have never needed to use an EVF to compose a shot...

60D which I purchased in 2011 was the first time that I had an option to shoot still images using either true optical viewfinder or 3'' LCD screen.
Initially I was so accustomed to using optical viewfinder which was the only option in 35mm film SLR era that I used the screen for video only.

I did realize pretty soon that tilting screen was infinitely better when I wanted to get the perfect camera angle anywhere from ground level to way above my head and it was also so much easier to support the camera against something solid under low light conditions that there was no coming back.

60D is still in use occasionally with adapted lenses. 10x zoom in live view screen makes manual focusing a breeze especially because I can view the full scene at the same time I'm trying to frame the exact spot to focus. I can even use all controls with both hands while focusing because camera is not against my face but everything is visible and accessible. Same is of course true for any digital camera.

I just don't understand why on earth would I ever want to squeeze the whole camera against my face and make shooting so much more difficult without any reason. It's a total mystery why camera manufacturers have even carried this relic over to mirrorless ILC:s where it's not even a proper optical one but a totally artificial EVF and in any case a far cry from what a good tilting screen (preferably OLED) can offer.

Based on the endless passionate discussions about EVF quality which seems to be the most important property of any digital camera, it's just you and me who find the EVF as strange leftover as the hole for manual hand crank in some 1970's Russian cars (and 2CV of course).

Last edited:
Real Name
Cata
Has anyone encountered a problem with focus peaking not working properly? I compared it with my LX100m2 (virtually same internals as GX9) cameras, where I have it set to blue and it works very well. On my GX9 I get barely any colour, just a very slight shimmer.
I somehow had the same experience, but randomly (your post actually rang me a bell), so I gave it a try now. My observation is that for quite low contrast edges (e.g a transparent bottle against a window as background) the peaking (I also choose blue colour) is "weak", barely discernible. Moving focusing to a black keyboard, I could see it better since the black keys were better defined against the board. But then I was in "full" mode at MF assist display option. Once I changed it to PIP I got better peaking indication. I have only tried this briefly with 2 lenses, the PL12/1.4 and Sigma 30/1.4.

Tili

Mu-43 Regular
I've been using the GX9 for the last year or so now. I wanted to write a bit how this camera is doing.

First off, I'm an enthusiast: I mainly document my day and my family's life. Nothing professional.

The camera is just insane from a value perspective:
  • Small package and looks neat. I love the looks of a viewfinder style camera. When I go out, I take my camera. It being small and light is really nice.

• Ergonomics/Experience. After some experimentation, I added a modified hot-shoe mounted thumb grip and it's pretty much perfect now. It only makes it a bit hard to turn the camera on and off. I love the amount of buttons and dials. Switching AF settings with a dial feels great. Panasonic menus are the best I've used from any system so far. I think my battery door is a bit "sticky", it's quite hard to open. I love the shutter sound. It's really quite good. I am sometimes disappointed when the electronic shutter kicks in😂.

• Battery life: Not great, not terrible. I bring 3 batteries on a day where I know I will be taking a lot of videos and photos. I have not have to swap battery more than once on such days.

• Display/EVF: Just fine for me. I don't see the rainbow effect in the EVF. Screen tilt is used a lot. And I've found a use for the tiling EVF too: taking a headshot of the kid when kid has a hat on in blaring sun (so shooting in an upward angle, crouched).

• Video: Oh my god! It's just amazing. It looks so much better than a phone. The IBIS works great when filming too! Footage looks smooth, files aren't colossal. I shoot 1080p 60fps. I would say the only downside is the microphone. I am still looking for a good solution for this. (I was looking at some stick-on wind muff things)

• Video AF: Everybody knows the quirks of AF and Panasonic. It's becoming a meme now. That said, I have had good results with Tracking AF on and my kid running around like crazy. Face and Eye detection in video is not something I can depend on. Tracking works fine, and it's very easy to swap over to AF-C and enable tracking in a few seconds.

• Photos: I shoot JPEG + RAW for the flexibility. Panasonic colors look very vibrant, perhaps a bit too much for my taste. Noise I feel is always there but I am not super bothered by it. (I don't shoot below ISO 1600)

• Photo AF: Except for the P 20 f1.7: Just insanely fast. Really happy with it. I have used the "press shutter all the way down in 1 go" technique much more lately, results have been great.

• Price/Performance: I bought most of my gear second hand, and compared to APS-C counterparts it's just so much more affordable. A similar Fujifilm setup would costs me double or more compared to my m43 gear. I believe the quality would be better, but I feel it's nearing diminishing returns. For photo/video in okay to good light, I don't see the point to "upgrade".
Compare the Olympus 45mm f1.8 with the Fuji 50mm f2. I know build quality, style and performance are not comparable. But the output from a "simple point of view" is basically the same: a nice portrait lens that produce a wonderful blurry background. The price difference on the second hand market(here) is <200 euros (Olympus) vs 400+ euros (Fuji). I know this not fair, but from a family documentation point of view I think it's a valid statement.

Let's look at our beloved pancake: P 20mm f1.7 vs Fuji 28mm F2.8. Where do I start? Somehow the P 20 effectively has a wider aperture, is cheaper, has a cult following in terms of quality and it's half the price of the Fuji. Second hand market pricing: (150 vs 280+).

The big downside to most of the cheap(but great) lenses and bodies I have is lack of weather sealing. For now it has not become huge issue for me.

All in all I find it very difficult to even allow GAS to take place when looking at other systems. This kit is just too good in the price/performance category!

Would love your thoughts on this.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I really liked your points. I am happy with my GX80, the thumb grip makes it so much better to handle. Small, light lenses are a delight, which stops me moving to an S1r. If there are no new models coming by next year, I shall buy a G9 and a GX9. The G9 as it makes taking photos easy, a great viewfinder. The GX9 as it is small. Both are better than my present camera, and the firmware updates make the G9 a very good camera indeed.

Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Photo AF: Except for the P 20 f1.7: Just insanely fast. Really happy with it. I have used the "press shutter all the way down in 1 go" technique much more lately, results have been great.
As long as you don't have the need to recompose after focusing, try out the "shutter release on half press" setting. It makes it even fast to capture shots, since the gray matter doesn't have to recognize focus acquisition and then fully press. It accomplishes the same thing as pushing the shutter all the way down, but without the extra force which can introduce some camera shake.

Tili

Mu-43 Regular
As long as you don't have the need to recompose after focusing, try out the "shutter release on half press" setting. It makes it even fast to capture shots, since the gray matter doesn't have to recognize focus acquisition and then fully press. It accomplishes the same thing as pushing the shutter all the way down, but without the extra force which can introduce some camera shake.
Wouldn't the Ibis negate any shake from pressing shutter button?

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
I shall buy a G9 and a GX9. The G9 as it makes taking photos easy, a great viewfinder. The GX9 as it is small. Both are better than my present camera, and the firmware updates make the G9 a very good camera indeed.
That combo is a great one, I have had the G9 for a couple of years, and bought the GX9 second hand in January. It makes for a wonderful pair. I bought the large eyepieces for both, and those are proper upgrades to both cameras. I really cant see much need for upgrading the bodies for the next generation, possibly two, unless there are some quantum leap tech that I "need" to get and that would most likely be GAS.

Someone wiser than me, once stated; Remember that the camera you have, is just as good as the day you bought it and you bought it for a reason. :drinks:

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
Someone wiser than me, once stated; Remember that the camera you have, is just as good as the day you bought it and you bought it for a reason. :drinks:
Jens... that's exactly how I feel about the GX8. I love this camera to bits!

I can see the merits of having a G9, as well. But nothing in the world of m4/3 moves me to replace my GX8.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Has it got to a stage where you cannot take better photos, but the taking of them and PP is easier because of the tech upgrades?

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Has it got to a stage where you cannot take better photos, but the taking of them and PP is easier because of the tech upgrades?
Thats an excellent question.

I havent meditated upon it much, but my gut feeling is yes, probably. To qualify that, I was in this same boat:
Jens... that's exactly how I feel about the GX8. I love this camera to bits!
and was quite vocal at the release of both the G9 and the GX9, about waiting to see what the next gen would supply. The G9 was too big and lumpy, not a M43 camera at all and the GX9 was an abomination to all that was good and proper about the GX8.

Two years on, from the release of the G9, I bought it, a combined sale from a shop and a Panasonic cash-back campaign drove the price down to a place where I can most likely sell it today and at the very least break even, or turn a smallish profit on it if I should sell it on. No plans for that, but it was a good deal and I got to scratch an itch I have had for several decades, it stands in somewhat for the one that got away, the Canon T90, a camera that I lusted properly for back in the day. :whistling:

Working the duo of GX8 and G9, I found myself reaching towards the G9 for most tasks, even those where I would normally take the more compact one, and I found the files from the GX8 not very good when compared to the output from the G9, not that I can fault the output from the GX8, but the G9 just has that little something extra.

Cant quantify nor qualify it in any reasonable matter, but it is there and that is why I got the GX9 second hand, it came in a bundle with a flash and a couple of lenses, which I swiftly sold off, leaving me with a house and the OEM grip for about £150-170 out of pocket. And it delivers files that is somewhat on par with the G9. I planned the buy along the lines of seeing how it performed against the GX8 for a "semi-compact" and to sell off the one I don't use.

Turns out to be, hesitantly, the GX8, which is off to the market any day soon (probably).

I cant reasonably fault it for anything, and it feels as lush in the hand as the day I bought it, but the GX9 delivers just that little bit extra in the all-round compartment. Files on par with the G9. Bare-bones its in compact territory, not quite pocketable other than in a windbreaker or such, but compact. With the added grip, its comfortable with the larger "pro" lenses. I dont have any problems with the LVF, which many complains about.

I`ll be give up on the weather sealing on house nr 2, which irks me, but other than that, I think the pairing of the G9 and GX9 is a perfect fit. If anything, I would wish for Panasonic to release an updated firmware for the GX9, bringing the AF updates from the big FW updates to the G series down to the GX series. Not bothered with the video bits, but the AF specific updates would have been great to get in the smaller houses.

Turns out that I probably have meditated a bit upon the topic anyway, I just haven't stringed my thoughts together before now. :drinks:

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thats an excellent question.

I havent meditated upon it much, but my gut feeling is yes, probably. To qualify that, I was in this same boat:

and was quite vocal at the release of both the G9 and the GX9, about waiting to see what the next gen would supply. The G9 was too big and lumpy, not a M43 camera at all and the GX9 was an abomination to all that was good and proper about the GX8.

Two years on, from the release of the G9, I bought it, a combined sale from a shop and a Panasonic cash-back campaign drove the price down to a place where I can most likely sell it today and at the very least break even, or turn a smallish profit on it if I should sell it on. No plans for that, but it was a good deal and I got to scratch an itch I have had for several decades, it stands in somewhat for the one that got away, the Canon T90, a camera that I lusted properly for back in the day. :whistling:

Working the duo of GX8 and G9, I found myself reaching towards the G9 for most tasks, even those where I would normally take the more compact one, and I found the files from the GX8 not very good when compared to the output from the G9, not that I can fault the output from the GX8, but the G9 just has that little something extra.

Cant quantify nor qualify it in any reasonable matter, but it is there and that is why I got the GX9 second hand, it came in a bundle with a flash and a couple of lenses, which I swiftly sold off, leaving me with a house and the OEM grip for about £150-170 out of pocket. And it delivers files that is somewhat on par with the G9. I planned the buy along the lines of seeing how it performed against the GX8 for a "semi-compact" and to sell off the one I don't use.

Turns out to be, hesitantly, the GX8, which is off to the market any day soon (probably).

I cant reasonably fault it for anything, and it feels as lush in the hand as the day I bought it, but the GX9 delivers just that little bit extra in the all-round compartment. Files on par with the G9. Bare-bones its in compact territory, not quite pocketable other than in a windbreaker or such, but compact. With the added grip, its comfortable with the larger "pro" lenses. I dont have any problems with the LVF, which many complains about.

I`ll be give up on the weather sealing on house nr 2, which irks me, but other than that, I think the pairing of the G9 and GX9 is a perfect fit. If anything, I would wish for Panasonic to release an updated firmware for the GX9, bringing the AF updates from the big FW updates to the G series down to the GX series. Not bothered with the video bits, but the AF specific updates would have been great to get in the smaller houses.

Turns out that I probably have meditated a bit upon the topic anyway, I just haven't stringed my thoughts together before now. :drinks:
I followed a pretty similar m4/3 path to you. My first foray into m4/3 was with the GX8, which I absolutely fell in love with. Was using a Canon 6D & EOS M at the time, the GX8 just eclipsed them both in usability, enjoyment & practicality. For the vast majority of the time, the IQ was just as good, or perhaps better too. For small, compact, light & affordable lenses with extremely good IQ, m4/3 had them beat easily. About the only thing I was a little bit disappointed in with the GX8, was the IBIS. If the GX9 had of had the 8's EVF, I would have bought one in a heartbeat. So despite my initial reservations about the G9's size, I bought one at release. Never looked back. My favorite camera, regardless of format, ever. No walking away from that one :) It will take a VERY large jump in technology to get me to part with the G9. Perhaps if the G series gets dumbed down, & the GX series inherits its position, that would be the direction I'd head in.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
what makes the GX9 an abomination to all that was good and proper about the GX8 ?

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
what makes the GX9 an abomination to all that was good and proper about the GX8 ?
EVF, no weathersealing, generally lay-out, including loss of control wheels etcetera, etcetera. I would have been an very early adopter if they just had chucked the new sensor and stabilizer system into the GX8 body and called it MkII... The GX9 was, upon release, "a swift kick in the cojones", to use an Americanism.

If I hadn't bought the G9, I would probably still be in that camp.

The GX9 is for me not a "primary" model, at this day and age. It is a second house. Not to say that I dont like it, but I want something more. Do I need more? Most likely not, but downgrading isn't much fun.

Had I kept the GX7, I would most likely have upgraded to the GX9 and been a happy camper. As it turned out, I have between the GX7 and GX9 had the pleasure of owning a couple of rather grand cameras, both pushing the boundaries of what I thought I would ever own. I bought the GX8 about a fortnight before the release of the GX80, and if I had known about it, I would probably have waited for the 80 and bypassed the GX8 altogether, most likely also given a hard pass on the G9 due to size. I can sum it up somewhat with the statement "that there are never a dull day in my M43 multiverse". :biggrin: :drinks:

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
I only see 1 'extra' control wheel on the GX8 rel. to the GX9. I don't have either, so can you explain the control wheel difference? They both have shooting mode and EV bias wheels. Dunno what the others do.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom